Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums

Register to remove these ads

View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Points: 2,454, Level: 14 Points: 2,454, Level: 14 Points: 2,454, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SupraGuy is somewhat reliable
Re: Replacing F23A4 with F23A?. Any new parts I need? + Can't remove AT drain plug

Well, if you are replacing the timing belt, I am given to understand that replacing the water pump at the same time is generally recommended. Replacing the timing belt is something that I would probably generally do if I have the engine out, particularly an interference engine, which is the majority of Hondas.

You can (And should!) flush the cooling system still remaining int he car. If the heater core is still good, you can do so by connecting a hose to the coolant line and flushing it with plenty of fresh water. If you are concerned about potential debris in the cooling system, you can flush it backwards, too. This isn't hard to do with the engine out of the car. You must make sure that any valves are fully open when you do this. It shouldn't be necessary to remove the heater core.

If your radiator is good, I see no reason to replace it unless you have a need for an upgrade, such as additional thermal load (Such as a turbocharger or supercharger, which will make more heat as it makes more power.)

For choice of coolant, so long as your coolant is compatible with aluminum cylinder heads, it ought to be fine. I believe that it is more important to make sure that the cooling system is regularly maintained than which coolant you use. Coolant doesn't only prevent freezing, it also serves as a lubricant for various valves as well as the water pump, and as an anti-corrosion agent in the engine block and cylinder head. These agents have a limited life span, while the antifreeze properties will last forever.

Those drain plugs can be a stone *****. So long as you don't break your mounts, you're unlikely to do any damage to anything important putting some torque on them, but you're going to want to make sure that you don't wreck the plug. (The nub on your ratchet or torque bar is probably more likely to get twisted off, actually.) Go to town.

1989 Toyota Supra, 502,XXX kms. Heavily modified, mostly dead.
1990 Toyota Supra, 190,XXX kms, project car.

» Featured Ride
CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S FEATURED RIDE!