Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums

Register to remove these ads

View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 12:50 AM
Points: 234, Level: 2 Points: 234, Level: 2 Points: 234, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

determinasian is somewhat reliable
Re: Replacing F23A4 with F23A?. Any new parts I need? + Can't remove AT drain plug

Originally Posted by SupraGuy View Post
Even if you go to a pro shop, they'll flush the cooling system with tap water. It won't be particularly harmful because it's a short period of time, and there aren't going to be huge temperature variations. Lots of places will even use tap water to cut the coolant with. For a stock engine in a daily driver, I'd probably be okay with that, and use a de-scaler when it's time to flush the system. The mineral content in most city potable water supplies is generally low enough not to cause issues in an engine cooling system that uses about 6-8 liters every 2 years, and your coolant will have enough anti-corrosion and anti-scaling additives to be more than good with it.

It's not minerals in water that cause corrosion, it's oxygen. If your water has been exposed to air, it will have oxygen. After going through a few heat cycles in the cooling system, most of this oxygen will be purged from the anti-corrosion agents in the coolant. Even distilled water will have this as an issue.
Gotcha. Thanks, followed what you said.

Not sure if I should continue this thread because the title is off, but the new engine is in, all fluids are in, the old battery won't hold a charge, and the engine starts. There was no check engine light and no codes were thrown on a Bluetooth OBD2 reader connected to the Torque Pro app. However, there were a few things I'm sketched out about:

The engine starts, but the idle surges for about 5 seconds before it gets on about 1000-1500 RPM for the cold start. Is that fine?

A bolt between the j-pipe and the exhaust manifold broke, and now there's only a single nut (attached to a welded-on bolt on the header) at the interface between the j-pipe and the exhaust manifold. Would it be appropriate to assume that this is what's causing a lot of rattling when the engine's on?

A lot of smoke comes out of the exhaust and also what I assume is the leak between the j-pipe and the exhaust manifold due to the single nut holding them together. Is this normal for a first start? For context, when I had the old engine in with the cracked block, there was also a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Is it safe to assume that it's just clearing out whatever was stuck in my exhaust before?

Also, I drained the old gas out since it has been sitting for about 10 or 11 months and put in 2.5 new gallons of gas. The low gas indicator is on and the gas meter is barely above the completely empty tick. Is it normal for 2.5 gallons to count as empty?

Is there anything else I should watch out for with a newly-installed engine? This is my first time doing an engine swap (coming from barely knowing how to change my oil) so I'm afraid I'm missing something.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

» Featured Ride
CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S FEATURED RIDE!