Dying...stealership confused too.

runves3

Reaction score
A couple of things. Yes or no

Coil pack? No idea how to change that

catalytic converter clogged?

My passenger side muffler fell off. Back pressure issue?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
A couple of things. Yes or no

Coil pack? No idea how to change that

catalytic converter clogged?

My passenger side muffler fell off. Back pressure issue?

What year? Which engine?

It might be.

Nope. Rust.

Connie

Reaction score
Mine did this before I bought it. The lady that had it from new brought it into the dealer where I was working, saying it was doing the same thing. One of the techs worked on it, had me order a coil from a local parts store. Still to this day don't know what he did, but it hasn't shut down on me.

Could definitely be the coil flaking out when it gets warm. I keep forgetting this is a distributor car....I have had intermittent ignition problems on my COP cars, but obviously only affecting one cylinder at a time. When one of mine starts to die, it begins happening only when the car is warm, and eventually gets worse and worse and happens more often.

Since my driven cars are COP, it only affects one cylinder at a time.

Since yours is distributor ignition, you have ONE coil for all 6 cylinders, and electricity is distributed through them from the rotor to the cap to the wires to the plugs. So a flaky coil is going to kill all 6 cylinders. Didn't notice you hadn't replaced it yet.

After re-reading this, your problem is sounding more and more like a flaky coil or associated wiring.

Whenever I have a clogged catalytic on something, the car feels down on power, especially under load. It also usually smells hot.

The muffler isn't important. Sounds better without them. The flanges between the y-pipe and mufflers always rust out. Every original exhaust I have seen on these things is either leaking or broken here. I just chopped both mufflers off and ran a single pipe straight out the back on mine. But I'm not really one for aesthetics. You could just cut out the flanges and weld in a sleeve. Exhaust shop wouldn't charge more than $100 (probably less) for this. But it's the least of your problems until it stops shutting off.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLhkigDIgE

this is for a V6 5th gen. Its probably pretty similar on a 6th gen.

This is how I fixed my leaky original mufflers. Cost $10 and took 20 minutes with a sawzall and a welder. Sounds awesome and not at all too loud. I know it's haggard, but it works. It's been like that almost 2 years now lol. Comes out in the middle(ish). Like a friggin Porsche with Vtek, yo!

Last edited:

runves3

Reaction score
I've noticed in a few videos that there are coils attached to spark plug wires, mine doesn't have those. Is there a single one? Where is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connie

Reaction score
The video I JUST posted in my previous post is for a 95-97 with a J27 V6. I couldn't find one for a J30, but that video should be similar. Only one coil on that car.

runves3

Reaction score
http://www.gvrdeu.org/Honda FSM/Accord/1998-2002 Accord FSM/1998-2002 Honda Accord SM.pdf

That's a direct link to the manual I already told you was here.

It will tell you how to replace the coil in there.

EDIT...sorry looks like all that's in there is 4 cylinder stuff for some reason...

Yup, F series engine.

Just reset codes by old fashioned removal of batter and tapping - and + cables together.

Ran it 14 miles with no problems. I'm so confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connie

Reaction score
You need to test that coil dude. I really think that's your issue here.

I'd give you the one out of my 98 parts car to try if I were closer, I know that one's good. I'll check my Haynes manual when I get home, I'm sure the specs for the 98-99 v6 coil will be in there somewhere.

Back