How to replace the gas tank, the easy way with pics!

Connie

Reaction score
WOW, you sure made that look easy. I can't wait until my shoulder heals up so I can get this done myself. Thanks for the write up and pics, as they're a big help. I like the tips about taking the lines off at the pump, versus the rusty frame, and not removing the sway bar. Unfortunately for me, I've got drum brakes on the rear of my sedan, so that means I'll probably have to try and not snap the brake lines when I seperate them as I can't just pull and hang the calipers. I'll have to pull the drums and figure out how to get the cables unattached from the backing plates, but other than those couple of things it should be a similar job. I'll let you know what I run into, and if I remember to I'll post some pics of the difference between the V6 sub and the I4 subframes (disc versus drum too).
Thanks again for doing the DIY for the tank swap.:favorites13: Sorry to hear you had to do it so many times.

Thanks, it's really not that bad. Finished it up last night, all that was left was to hose clamp the fill and evap hoses and put the plastic cover back on, hook up the abs sensors, put the back brakes back together and put gas in the new tank! Pressurized the system afterwards, and no fuel leaks! yay!

Having extra stands and taking your time as you raise it is the key. And don't drop it once you have the fuel lines attached to the fuel pump. If you do, you will almost certainly damage something, probably snap the fittings off of the fuel pump.

Doing it a few times makes it easy, you learn new tricks along the way each time.
If I were you I'd pick up wheel cylinders and a couple sections of pre flared line with fittings before you start. I usually pick up all the maybe stuff just in case, then return what I don't need when I'm done. I live a bit out of town so making a million trips to the parts store is annoying, especially if I'm working on my daily or in a hurry.

I'm sure it'll go fine; good luck for when you do tackle it!

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have had a p1456 fuel vapor evap leak for a while now, replaced many parts and even did a smoke test and still couldn't find it so I gave up. Been meaning to look for it again, and heard it could be due to a rusting tank.

Nice work, thanks for contributing! Repped and added to master DIY list.

Connie

Reaction score
I have had a p1456 fuel vapor evap leak for a while now, replaced many parts and even did a smoke test and still couldn't find it so I gave up. Been meaning to look for it again, and heard it could be due to a rusting tank.

Nice work, thanks for contributing! Repped and added to master DIY list.

Cool, thanks man!

The thing with gas is that it can be leaking for long time and not be noticed because of how quickly it evaporates. I think the old tank had been seeping for years, because I always used to have that code until the new tank. It looked "wet" in many places all around the seam, but only actually dripped from a few spots along the seam.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
Cool, thanks man!

The thing with gas is that it can be leaking for long time and not be noticed because of how quickly it evaporates. I think the old tank had been seeping for years, because I always used to have that code until the new tank. It looked "wet" in many places all around the seam, but only actually dripped from a few spots along the seam.

That is so true about the vapor leak, we had a 03 civic that had a fuel pump leak and the way the tank was designed it would just pool fuel on top of the tank (was shaped like a bowl) under the back seat and you would never have a clue it was leaking if you did not have a good nose or leaking profusely.

Talk about dangerous too... I can only imagine someone throwing out a cig in traffic in front of you and it flying under your car and hitting the tank area for the unthinkable to happen.

Connie

Reaction score
That is so true about the vapor leak, we had a 03 civic that had a fuel pump leak and the way the tank was designed it would just pool fuel on top of the tank (was shaped like a bowl) under the back seat and you would never have a clue it was leaking if you did not have a good nose or leaking profusely.

Talk about dangerous too... I can only imagine someone throwing out a cig in traffic in front of you and it flying under your car and hitting the tank area for the unthinkable to happen.

The gas would probably put out the cigarette. That's what happens if you drop a cigarette into a pail of gas. It's not that flammable if it isn't misted. But once it's on fire, good luck putting it out.

I am a little bit of a pyromaniac, lol.

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
The gas would probably put out the cigarette. That's what happens if you drop a cigarette into a pail of gas. It's not that flammable if it isn't misted. But once it's on fire, good luck putting it out.

That is good information, I am still skeptical of any major heat source starting a fire, but then again that's what the schools around here used to drum into everyone's heads all those years ago.
But these are also the same schools that tell you to duck and cover under your desk if a nuke hits :henry: , so I take it with a grain of salt lol.

I cant lie, I went threw a pyro phase once, I think it's human nature as a petrol head genetics stand point lol.
I mean, a motor is just a lil controlled fire explosion belting down the road at break neck speeds after all, lol.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Yeah I need to look at mine.

Irrational or not, this has been my fear for the last couple years. :skurred:

Rusty Accord

Reaction score

Don't forget today's gas isn't anything like it was 20 or 30 years ago when it was red (not piss yellow like today's stuff). The old red stuff would lite off quicker, and burn better, and didn't have ethanol in it to slow down the burning process (it also used to give 2-3 more mpg's per gallon).

Connie

Reaction score
I guess you're talking about leaded gas?
I'm only 31, so I guess I missed out on that...had no idea it used to be red though.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I guess you're talking about leaded gas?
I'm only 31, so I guess I missed out on that...had no idea it used to be red though.

Even early unleaded was red. I don't remember when it changed to yellow, sometime in the mid to late 80's I believe. I know here in Michigan, 10% ethanol was started in 1980 in various places around the state. By the 90's it was everywhere though.
But yes, I do remember leaded gas.:)

Back