1998 Accord V6 AT Trouble

cashgordon

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this will be my first post here but I was recently having trouble with my transmission. It’s like it struggles to get into gear and won’t shift into third and once it gets in that range it’s like all gears are neutral so I have to turn the car off and turn it back on and shift into like D1 or D2 and wait for it to like shake into gear. I have a check engine light. Checked the codes and got p0700, po705, p0730. I’m wondering if maybe it’s something electrical due to the fact that when I turn the car off and turn it back on it wants to work a little bit. Like it clears the problem after a restart. Don’t want to have to rebuild the transmission if I don’t have to lol. Thanks in advanced!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You can try searching those codes and see if it's anything solenoid related, been a while since I read any of those threads. But that doesn't sound good, might want to keep your eye out for another.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
OK, your P0700 code means 2 or more AT DTC codes are present, with no fuel or emissions codes.

Your P0705 (or DTC 5 flash codes) means there's an issue with the transmission range switch (D4 light blinks, MIL light on). The FSM goes 3 pages deep into the repair, so you might want to look at the downloadable version of the FSM (page 14-66).

The P0730 code is the shift control system. The D4 light will be off, and the MIL light will be on. Page 14-89. At the very end of that page, the FSM recommends replacing the transmission. But only doing a series of tests first.

capsidx

Reaction score
Usually when your trans starts doing this its on its last legs. I believe the clutch packs are to blame when it slams or shakes violently into gear. I know its probably not the answer you want to hear but you should convert the car to manual if you really want to keep it for a long time. The AT in the CG6 is well documented for being garbage after 100k and usually fail shortly thereafter. Finding a low mileage auto trans is like finding the 6 speed CL manual for less than 1000 bucks. Good luck though. Good advice from the guy above me as well. :waytogo:

Back