vtec seneloid removal/screen clean..."pics"

Twisted1

Reaction score
!!Warning!! Do not attempt if you do not have patience, or knowledge of your car!

I have bad headgasket so I have to clean my seneloid everymonth to avoid sludge build up. Here is some simple steps to keep vtec in perfect working condition....

-Parts I used where... break cleaner, 1/4 socket drive with extender thats about 6" long, 10mm socket and 10mm box end wrench

-Disconnect neg battery terminal

-Remove air intake

-Disconnect egr, vtec switch, and move black plastic piece that is about a foot long that holds wires and wires that go to fuel injectors couple inches to the firewall

-Remove egr valve for easier removal of seneloid..I forgot the size wrench there are two nuts that hold the egr on

-remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold the vtec switch on..

-Once the switch is off now you can see the seneloid the top two bolts are easy the bottom one your going to have to use your 10mm box end wrench. Have patience you will scratch hand up but its gonna come out!

-Now thats the seneloid is off you can see the screen and the sludge or how clogged it is; either clean it or replace it

-Use razor blade or need to CAREFULLY remove the gasket if you want to replace it go ahead but I reuse mine

-Inside your going to see a plunger and a spring at the bottom; clean all these parts with your cleaner

-Make shure the hole on the plunger is facing the hole that goes to the engine "the hole lines up with the hole your looking at" I have pic for you to see...

-After all clean put everything back in reverse steps, start car and let it idle for about 5mins then take for test drive. Be easy on throttle and slowly get rpms up to where vtec kicks in.

-Clean up and your done! here are the pics

remove egr
IMG_1075.jpg

remove switch
IMG_1076.jpg

seneloid that needs to be removed
IMG_1077.jpg

pic of seneloid off and screen...bank three is the screen; bank one has a small hole.. here is where you need to align your plunger hole with the bank hole, yes I know I have metal shavings on my screen.. thats why im building g23!!
IMG_1078.jpg

pic of back of engine where seneloid went
IMG_1079.jpg

clean screen
IMG_1080.jpg

break cleaner and rubber gloves... break cleaner burns skin so if you get it on skin rinse off with milk then soap and water... milk kills the acid in it
IMG_1081.jpg

pic reinstalled seneloid
IMG_1082.jpg

pic of vtec switch plug with yellow green wire
IMG_1083.jpg

Thats its thanks for looking! If you have any questions im happy to answer them for you

Twisted1

Reaction score
Also works for 5th gen accords too! Sorry for misspelled words I did this in hurry because I have work tonight. Should take no longer then 30min to do this diy. Once again thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

SN95GTMustang

Reaction score
i know you have a perticular issue with your car but just for general information. You can get that gasket/filter and the top gasket from honda. I rebuilt mine for less then 15 bucks. Honda dealer by me stocks the parts. But nice write up

SN95GTMustang

Reaction score
Oh and btw you dont have to remove the EGR. Lol you did a lot of work there, I just use a swivel with extension and 1/4in ratchet and remove the 3 vtec solenoid to head bolts, 10mm IIRC and remove it.

Twisted1

Reaction score
I didn't have the swivel 1/4 drive head so that's why I removed the egr. I cleaned it to but that's a total diffrent diy lol. I have the whole motor apart now doing the g23 build. My f23 cylinder walls need to be reworked that's why I decided on build.

SN95GTMustang

Reaction score
I didn't have the swivel 1/4 drive head so that's why I removed the egr. I cleaned it to but that's a total diffrent diy lol. I have the whole motor apart now doing the g23 build. My f23 cylinder walls need to be reworked that's why I decided on build.

Sweet, I was thinking of doing that a long long time ago. But decieded on a V8 lol.

Twisted1

Reaction score
Yeah v8s' are nice but I like to have projects. I have nice incentive "bonus" check coming Friday to feed and keep my fire going, so I said w t h might as well get it done. I haven't figured out the wiring harness or ecu yet; I'm gonna search the forums and see what others have used. I did find a excellent machine shop that can work on the head though! I'm gonna try to do a diy on the g23 within this week and next month so just stay tuned in!

chiaxi2002

Reaction score
Is it possible if you could post up photos of the tools you used so I can have an ideal of which tools to buy...

Back