Adding Steering Wheel Audio Controls

NorcalLX

Reaction score
My 02 Accord LX came with a AM/FM/CD Head Unit from the factory but did not come with the Steering Wheel Audio Controls. I recently upgraded to a Alpine UTE-62BT Digital Media Receiver and also upgraded the speakers. The Alpine owners manual states the unit is compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required). Would the wiring be in place in my LX's steering column to easily add the factory Steering Wheel Audio Controls or would it be a more complicated task? Also, what functions would the factory controls allow - volume up/down, radio tuning, etc.?

Last edited:

jypatric

Reaction score
Any update so far? I'm curious about this kind of upgrade.

datechboss101

Reaction score
My 02 Accord LX came with a AM/FM/CD Head Unit from the factory but did not come with the Steering Wheel Audio Controls. I recently upgraded to a Alpine UTE-62BT Digital Media Receiver and also upgraded the speakers. The Alpine owners manual states the unit is compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required). Would the wiring be in place in my LX's steering column to easily add the factory Steering Wheel Audio Controls or would it be a more complicated task? Also, what functions would the factory controls allow - volume up/down, radio tuning, etc.?

AM/FM/CD on OEM LX HU? I doubt that, because the OEM HU for the LX has AM/FM/Tape, but CD was an optional install during that era. Best bet is to install an aftermarket HU or an aftermarket steering wheel that supports audio.

NorcalLX

Reaction score
AM/FM/CD on OEM LX HU? I doubt that, because the OEM HU for the LX has AM/FM/Tape, but CD was an optional install during that era. Best bet is to install an aftermarket HU or an aftermarket steering wheel that supports audio.

I bought the car from the original owner and a Honda AM/FM/CD was in it. Not going to pursue steering wheel controls due to excessive cost.

datechboss101

Reaction score
I bought the car from the original owner and a Honda AM/FM/CD was in it. Not going to pursue steering wheel controls due to excessive cost.
May I see your HU and steering wheel? It will help me understand better which HU you have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NorcalLX

Reaction score
This is not my photo but my wheel looks exactly like this one from an 02 Accord SE. The second photo is also not mine but is the same as the AM/FM/CD that came with my car when I purchased it from the original owner. There was no Cassette unit below, just the stock storage bin with the flip-down door as pictured.

59573675.jpg

s-l300.jpg

datechboss101

Reaction score
That radio definitely does not belong to an LX trim at all. The EX and above had the CD player in the top.

The LX has the tape in the top... I still have my original HU laying around somewhere... I'll post a pic of it soon, once I find it.

NorcalLX

Reaction score
Well, I guess the original owner bought it and put it in. It's a moot point as I've upgraded to the Alpine and am going to live without wheel controls due to the expense of adding them.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Well, I guess the original owner bought it and put it in. It's a moot point as I've upgraded to the Alpine and am going to live without wheel controls due to the expense of adding them.
Alpine should give a remote control for the HU. Thats what JVC did for my HU.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back