Retrofitted OEM Mirrors with led strip

blackcord

Reaction score
So back in March, I was thinking about retrofitting led strips into my door mirrors. Found someone selling a set of coupe mirrors, but found out that they dont fit on a sedan. I created a thread here about this http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40917

Toyed with the idea of putting leds for a Hyundai Genesis but decided against it since the curvature probably would not match and it would look like poo. So I decided to go totally custom. I picked up a corner light for a Nissan Quest so that I could cut out the lens to make the led lens. I didnt take pictures of all steps, but you will get the idea.

I cut out the shape I needed and heated the lens in my toaster oven and gently bent it into shape. I created a backing with regular plexiglass to make the backing for the led strip. Then cut out the hole in the mirror and glued the backing along with the led strip. Glued the outer lens then put some plastic edging material that is normally used to line your fender and door edge to prevent door dings so that it will have a "finished" look and also hide the cut/join groove.

Now onto the pictures!
p1000210b.jpg

p1000269r.jpg

p1000335kd.jpg

p1000382v.jpg

p1000380kc.jpg

p1000399m.jpg

p1000400x.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! Be honest, if you think it looks like poo and hand made, then say so!

Last edited:

SilverAggie

Reaction score
From the pictures posted. I honestly think it looks amazing. Well done sir and the first i've seen of retrofitting LED side mirrors on this site although I have not been on in a while. Great job!!!:drool:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Nce work.

Hope you got some type of waterproof sealant around that trim as well.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
It's original, but unless the lights were flushed into the mirror it looks awkward to me. Good thing your car is dark, I'd imagine a lighter color would look worse. Creative thought, but there's room for improvement...although it would probably entail much more time & money.

blackcord

Reaction score
From the pictures posted. I honestly think it looks amazing. Well done sir and the first i've seen of retrofitting LED side mirrors on this site although I have not been on in a while. Great job!!!:drool:
Thanks. Gotta be unique I say.

Wow I like em... Great job!
Thanks bro.

Nce work.

Hope you got some type of waterproof sealant around that trim as well.
Thanks. I used silicone on the back. But the led strip themselves are supposed to be waterproof.

Holy balls! That looks amazing! Great work :thumbup:
Thanks.

It's original, but unless the lights were flushed into the mirror it looks awkward to me. Good thing your car is dark, I'd imagine a lighter color would look worse. Creative thought, but there's room for improvement...although it would probably entail much more time & money.
Thanks. I know what you mean. Actually the outer lens is flush with the mirror, BUT the plastic edging makes the lens look recessed! The plastic edging material was the only thing that I could think of to use in this case. I even went to a few art and craft stores to see if they sell any type of plastic edging material that is more flat, but could not find any.

dakest

Reaction score
Great job! I have been planning to do the same for a year now but I got the benz led strips.

Back