Is there a way to bleed the ABS system?

GeoffM

Reaction score
I just got this 2000 and the fluid is pretty dark. I'm kind of a stickler for brakes, so I wanted to bleed it. I know the ABS system is usually done separately, and that you're supposed to use a machine.
For my other car, a CB7, I wrote a guide on how to bleed the ABS components, without a computer. It's here: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=170309
I'm wondering if someone already wrote a guide here, or if there is a circuit I can jump similar to the CB7.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
I think you are talking about bleeding brakes here...I just did mine.

Simple!

1st - Use the search button ^

2nd - I'll give you a quick walk through
a) Pour in new fluid
b) drain the calipers/rotors away from the master cylinder to closest.
b1) RR RL FR FL
c) make sure your master cylinder does not empty

use a friend or buy a system ~$80

GeoffM

Reaction score
I know how to bleed the brakes. The ABS system has passages (at least in my car) that won't get bled by normal bleeding.
Are you sure that's the correct pattern? The 4th gen has a split braking system. It's bled LR FR RR FL.
I have the motive pressure bleeder.

One last thing, I'm talking about replacing or flushing the system. All new brake fluid.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Correct bleeding pattern is...
94889928.gif

OP, i'd say bleed your brakes all around and test the system on the road for a difference. If still not satisfied...find an empty street/parking lot and lock your wheels a few times to engage the ABS system. Let the car cool down as your brakes will possibly be quite hot at this point and re-bleed the system.

My car came with ABS as well and i actually bled the brakes with a friend about 2 weeks ago. Looked on the car's service manual for any procedure on bleeding fluid in the ABS lines but none was available. The manual actually states to bleed the system the same as if ABS was not present.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
Correct bleeding pattern is...
94889928.gif

OP, i'd say bleed your brakes all around and test the system on the road for a difference. If still not satisfied...find an empty street/parking lot and lock your wheels a few times to engage the ABS system. Let the car cool down as your brakes will possibly be quite hot at this point and re-bleed the system.

My car came with ABS as well and i actually bled the brakes with a friend about 2 weeks ago. Looked on the car's service manual for any procedure on bleeding fluid in the ABS lines but none was available. The manual actually states to bleed the system the same as if ABS was not present.

Dear God please tell me you are wrong about the brake bleeding sequence (even though you are not)

I have always been told that you should bleed the wheels away from the master cylinder and work your way to the one closest to the master cylinder!

Well I bled mine that way...and after I was done I went around again and rebled all of them (about 15 brake pedal pumps) and all I saw was new blue brake fluid so I take it that it still worked?!?! Maybe????

:hide:

GeoffM

Reaction score
I see what you're saying. For the 4th gens they had a separate reservoir. I didn't bother to check if the 6th's did before I made this.
And that bleeding sequence is almost opposite of what I've been taught. Are you sure that's for 6th's gens?

Dear God please tell me you are wrong about the brake bleeding sequence (even though you are not)

I have always been told that you should bleed the wheels away from the master cylinder and work your way to the one closest to the master cylinder!

Well I bled mine that way...and after I was done I went around again and rebled all of them (about 15 brake pedal pumps) and all I saw was new blue brake fluid so I take it that it still worked?!?! Maybe????

:hide:

What fluid are you using that's blue?

I was about to buy standard DOT 4, but decided to check the manual first. It says only OEM. Is this one of those things that you MUST use OEM fluids, or can you use aftermarket?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
theres no need to mess around with doing anything special...it's literally just bleeding them as normal since the ABS pump only modulates the fluid when it's kicked on, and we dont have a discrete ABS reservoir.

start with the wheel furthest from the master...dont know whats with that diagram :thinking:

DOT 3 is the stuff to use, aftermarket is ok. you're supposed to change it every 2-5 years but there's no sensitive components, really, that require OEM. so long as it doesnt cause condesation, its good. if it lets you sleep at night, its worth the little extra money for honda fluid.

001Stunna

Reaction score
theres no need to mess around with doing anything special...it's literally just bleeding them as normal since the ABS pump only modulates the fluid when it's kicked on, and we dont have a discrete ABS reservoir.

start with the wheel furthest from the master...dont know whats with that diagram :thinking:

DOT 3 is the stuff to use, aftermarket is ok. you're supposed to change it every 2-5 years but there's no sensitive components, really, that require OEM. so long as it doesnt cause condesation, its good. if it lets you sleep at night, its worth the little extra money for honda fluid.

Thats the diagram that i get on alldatadiy and on the honda service manual for bleeding sequence.
Bleeding all four once around though and then simply rechecking a second time around never hurt anyone for easy of mind and confirmation you have new fluid flowing all around.
I used Prestone Dot 3(only one i could find around here without having to go to special shops), simply because it calls for dot 3 on the manual. It was clear in color and the stuff that was coming out was pitch black so quite easy to tell when new fluid is coming out. The colored ones are good if your fluid currently inside is still in good condition(if one may say) as it makes for a clear distinction when new fluid is flowing.

slowrider87

Reaction score
our 6th gen master cylinder is on the driver side as are most all cars produced since that is where the brake pedal is.

so the sequence is as follows

rear passenger
rear driver
front passenger
front driver

thats how they did it when i worked at the saturn dealership

thats how i was taught in school,

thats how all my text books say to do it,

thats how i do it,

Never had an issue. Just make sure to pump up the brakes before driving it.

Back