Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > The Garage > DIY - Do It Yourself Forum

DIY - Do It Yourself Forum We have a lot of threads on how to do things yourself, from air intakes to suspension, brakes, even electronics. Please search first, if you can't find an article about what you're wanting to do just ask for help

Register to remove these ads

Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Points: 311, Level: 3 Points: 311, Level: 3 Points: 311, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

lmazing86 is somewhat reliable
Tail Light Reflector Repair

In my effort to try to repay the 6th Gen. forum for all the help theyíve given me, I present to you number 2 in the list of DIYs that I am doing to my fiancťeís 98 sedan. My first thread, restoring headlights, included a massive list of things that need to be done to the vehicle. I started with the headlights, now it was time for the taillights.

The taillights in her car had started leaking at some point in the distant past. They leaked into the truck and into the light housing itself. Because of this the reflector coating was starting to peal, as you can see in the picture below. Since it was predominantly on the reverse lamp region, it didnít decrease drivability, but just looked terrible.

I finally decided that it just wasnít acceptable to look at so I took the two inner taillights off (3 8mm nuts and a plastic clip) and took them inside. I used the procedure Iíve researched for pulling apart headlights. Start with a cookie sheet, place damp paper towels on the cookie sheet, then place the light on the damp towels. Have the oven preheated to 200 degrees and insert the lights. Check the lights every 5 or so minutes and gently try to pry them open (there are 8 tabs that hold them closed). If they donít go, donít force them. Put them back in the oven. Youíre trying to soften up the glue by doing this. Keep trying until you can get them pried open.

Next I scuffed up the surface with a scotchbrite pad, although anything slightly abrasive will work for this step. You want to get the loose reflective coating off of the housing.

After scuffing and cleaning I used Krylon Metallic Silver spray paint and gave the affected area a series of 4-5 coats. I gave each coat a minute or 2 to dry before the next coat, and made sure to give the entire thing 15 minutes to dry after the final coat. The 15 minutes is important as the housing will be put back into the oven to re-soften up the glue. If you donít wait the paint will bubble and look awfulÖ..trust meÖ.I wasted about an hour because of this. The picture is non-bubbled.

This second time in the oven was only for 5-8 minutes as the glue just needed to soften slightly. Then I pushed the lens back into place, verifying that the tabs were all seated. Voila!

A few things to noteÖ..the Krylon spray paint will not be as brilliant as the original reflective surface. For looks, itís great, but for reflectivity itís less than ideal. I know this because one of the running light reflector bowls was slightly damaged so I sprayed that. The other was not so I left it be. At night with the running lights on, the sprayed side is 5%-10% dimmer and doesnít ďsparkleĒ in the same way. Itís noticeable, but you have to look for it. A passerby might not even notice the difference. Unfortunately I donít have pictures that right now.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Be a better driver

Points: 74,049, Level: 84 Points: 74,049, Level: 84 Points: 74,049, Level: 84
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

RedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit together
Member Photo Albums
Re: Tail Light Reflector Repair

Nice. I used some “chrome” paint in one of my front turn signal reflectors and I actually like it better. It’s less reflective but it is more satin, so it spreads out the light more evenly, and fills out the lens better.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Points: 11,072, Level: 31 Points: 11,072, Level: 31 Points: 11,072, Level: 31

blackcord is more helpful than most

All those chrome paint never ever comes out shiney, but apparently if you first apply Rustoleum Black enamel paint before shooting the chrome paint, then that will make it more shiney. I never tried that, but see this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHRhwvgZn3o

2002 Accord EX-L

See my member's ride here: http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=32649

Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Points: 5,639, Level: 22 Points: 5,639, Level: 22 Points: 5,639, Level: 22

FreSH4dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Member Photo Albums

nice, i wonder if u could do something with the lense to make them red and whites?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Points: 13,117, Level: 34 Points: 13,117, Level: 34 Points: 13,117, Level: 34

lashlee is more helpful than most

Great diy! I need to do this to mine!