DIY Custom Gauge Faces

AggieMan

Reaction score
I was looking to see if I could find any decent looking 3rd party gauge faces that would help make our cars' interiors look more modern, but I wasn't able to find any. So I figured I'd try my hand at making my own gauge faces.

I found this tutorial on the Mazda forums that outlines the general process so I adapted it for our cars. The general procedure is the same, so I'll make this DIY quick and not too detailed (you can refer to the Mazda forums for more details).

You'll need a scanner, a computer and ideally access to Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator. You might be able to try it out with Microsoft Paint but that definitely sounds janky and probably won't work out too well.

First, some before and after pics:

BEFORE:

6kbcMdD.jpg

AFTER:

O5GOTYw.jpg

7My7rod.jpg

YmMPiwA.jpg

NUwLZWl.jpg

yCqkxlc.jpg

THE PROCESS:

So first off, you'll take apart your gauges and lift up the gauge face. There's plenty of tutorials on how to do this, so do a quick search on this forum for the details. This is what the gauge face looks like after you lift it out from the instrument cluster:

vV2itu3.jpg

Now go ahead and scan it onto your computer. I used 600dpi for the resolution, but 300dpi should also work fine. Once you get the JPEG, load it up into Photoshop/Illustrator/whatever you plan on using to edit the file.

You'll need some decent editing skills, but I basically overlaid a black layer in the shape of the cluster face and then started adding more custom layers over the original scanned gauge face. Once that was all in place, I deleted the original gauge face and was left with the newly constructed gauge.

AwTtZha.jpg

I know that was a very limited set of instructions for the actual gauge construction, but that step is more about having Photoshop/editing skills than something that can be detailed in this post.

Once you have your gauges ready to go, go ahead and head to your nearest FedEx Office Print & Ship Center. You'll need to print your custom gauge on 11x17in transparencies. I would print 2-3 copies (each one runs about $2.50 for the paper and the printing) so you'll have extras if you mess up. Once you get your transparencies, ask the FedEx guys to scan each copy and make a color copy on plain paper for you (again 11x17in paper). Make sure you do NOT touch the printed part of the transparencies. Fingerprints will ruin the prints and make them look nasty/possibly cause the ink to run.

While you're out, go ahead and grab a can of spray adhesive. I used 3M 45 Spray Adhesive which you can find at Home Depot for about $5.

Now come back to your workbench and align a transparency over it's printed color copy. make sure every thing matches up. You shouldn't see any doubles or misaligned elements (make sure to wear latex gloves so you don't accidentally touch the printed ink). Clip the two aligned layers together with some binder clips (only clip them on one side). Then lift the transparency up and spray it with a light layer of adhesive. Wait for 30 seconds and then lay the transparency back down onto the paper (the binder clips on the top will keep the two layers aligned). Firmly press down on the top of the two layers and then set it aside for about an hour.

Next, grab some sharp scissors and then cut your way around the outside shape of the gauge cluster. You'll be left with a brand new cluster face. But you're not done yet! Grab an Xacto knife with a brand new blade and then cut through the circles in the gauge face where the needles and the trip reset toggle/cluster bulb dimmer will go. Now go ahead and lay your fully finished gauge face on your old cluster and put it all back in your car. Congrats, you now have your very own custom gauges in your Accord!

Last edited:

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Nice write up man. You should make them for people and sell them. Make a few different ones and post them for sale I might even grab one.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Awesome idea and thank you for sharing it. I have only found one set of aftermarket gauges that look OEM but updated. Anyway what is the reason for the plain paper copy behind the transparency, just to make the colors more true? What do the faces look like in daylight?

It would be helpful to have more photos, perhaps of the transparences/copies, what the transparency/adhered copy look like separately and together, and just what the product looks like at each major step. I agree this is mostly straightforward, but I've done this kind of thing before. For those that haven't, I think showing more of your work would make this an even more excellent DIY guide.

Added to master list, and repped!

Last edited:

AggieMan

Reaction score
Nice write up man. You should make them for people and sell them. Make a few different ones and post them for sale I might even grab one.

Haha I would but man this stuff is time consuming. Literally took me 8-10 hours to design the gauge face on Photoshop (and it wasn't my first time using Photoshop either) and then another 2-3 hours and 4-5 duplicate prints of the transparencies to make sure the alignment is just right. With all the man hours involved, I'd have to sell these at a very high price to make it worth my time.

Awesome idea and thank you for sharing it. I have only found one set of aftermarket gauges that look OEM but updated. Anyway what is the reason for the plain paper copy behind the transparency, just to make the colors more true? What do the faces look like in daylight?

It would be helpful to have more photos, perhaps of the transparences/copies, what the transparency/adhered copy look like separately and together, and just what the product looks like at each major step. I agree this is mostly straightforward, but I've done this kind of thing before. For those that haven't, I think showing more of your work would make this an even more excellent DIY guide.

Added to master list, and repped!

The white paper is a mask layer that makes the colors more vibrant and uniform. Also hides the actual cluster mechanisms that could otherwise be seen through behind the transparent parts in the transparency.

Yeah I agree, I didn't take many pictures of the process because I was wearing gloves the whole time and it was pretty hectic aligning things up. I'll see if I can find extra copies of my prints and stage some progress pics though.

Silver99

Reaction score
This is so cool! I can't wait to take this on. Quick question though, could you upload the file you used as like a template, so others can just change what they want? It would be nice to have a starting place. Amazing job!

NSWDoc

Reaction score
Give me a price brother via PM and I'd be interested in buying a full cluster from you if you can make me one...;)!

Silver99

Reaction score
I have done this tons of times, and they turn out great! If anyone needs help let me know! I can put up the files if you guys want

Back