DIY- LX 5 Lug and Rear Disc Swap

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Dude look it up... For example, I did mine for $120 by pulling everything off myself at a junkyard ($40) and replacing some ball joints/bearings. Depends on how good you are at what you're doing, how much work you are willing to do yourself, and how anal you are about having either new or used parts. :ioc:

There's plenty of compilations of parts and prices for them concerning this swap.

JordanFleenor

Reaction score
Dude look it up... For example, I did mine for $120 by pulling everything off myself at a junkyard ($40) and replacing some ball joints/bearings. Depends on how good you are at what you're doing, how much work you are willing to do yourself, and how anal you are about having either new or used parts. :ioc:

There's plenty of compilations of parts and prices for them concerning this swap.

This actually answered everything. Thanks man.

Found some new rims to purchase in the future and gonna do the 5 lug swap :)

+1 for you kind sir :thumbsup:

Accccord

Reaction score
i have an lx 4dr with rear drums and i want to do the conversion for rear disc 4 lug, all i need is the rear knuckles, rear calipers, parking brake and disc brake line for the swap?

jdmcg3

Reaction score
whaty exactly did you do to the e-brake? cuz ever since ive done my five lug swap i havent had the e-brake due to i can hook it up. the calipers seem different.. as in 4lug vs 5lug

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
whaty exactly did you do to the e-brake? cuz ever since ive done my five lug swap i havent had the e-brake due to i can hook it up. the calipers seem different.. as in 4lug vs 5lug

the rear brakes on i4's that came from the factory with rear disc brakes and the v6 rear brakes are the exact same. so if your car came with rear discs, you dont even need to do anything other than get a 5 lug hub and brake disc, and everything will work fine. if your car was an lx or dx with drums, then you need either the ex i4 or v6 ebrake cables, theyre the same.​

jdmcg3

Reaction score

the rear brakes on i4's that came from the factory with rear disc brakes and the v6 rear brakes are the exact same. so if your car came with rear discs, you dont even need to do anything other than get a 5 lug hub and brake disc, and everything will work fine. if your car was an lx or dx with drums, then you need either the ex i4 or v6 ebrake cables, theyre the same.​

mine is an EX. but when i go to bolt up the cable to the caliper.. it doesnt match up

i have the v6 caliper on the driver side (which is the one not bolting up) and the i4 on the passenger side. both sides have the 5 lug hubs installed. i couldn't reuse the driver side i4 caliper because the bleeder screw broke off.

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
thats weird, because ive always heard 'its all the same'. but i just looked it up on majestic, and the v6 calipers are different from the ex i4 ones, different part numbers and all. so thats what you need...the calipers for the cable you have, or visa versa.​

kid484848

Reaction score
just wanted to add to the info after doing the swap for 01 with disk brakes
the parts i used from rockauto.com
the front hub is 28 spline
DORMAN 930450 (930-450) Hub $ 33.79 2 $ 67.58
TIMKEN 510050 Wheel Bearing $ 25.79 2 $ 51.58
TIMKEN 512179 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly $ 61.79 2 $ 123.58

i had a local shop press in/out the bearings for $40
after doing alot of research i figured out the v6 front hub is smaller than the 4 cylinder hub so i can reuse all of my rotors
i bought a drill press from harbor freight and redrilled all of the I4s rotors using a new v6 rotor as a template. i just bought new 4 lug front rotors couple months before i did the swap and didnt want to spend money on new calipers and rotors

i will try to upload pics later its not letting me upload now

eeeman

Reaction score
do we have to press these bearings in?
if we buy second hand we don' need to right?
this is for the fronts btw

Back