Bad Head Gasket, or Something Else?

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I'm leaking coolant from what appears to be this disc looking thing from behind the EGR valve. However, when I showed this to one of my car buddies here at work, he said it might be the head gasket. I'm curious to know what this might be all about and hopefully take care of it before it turns into a huge issue.

20140909_215903.jpg

20140909_215916.jpg

In terms of work in that area performed recently, I did valve my cover gaskets about 3 - 4 months ago or so and also replaced the EGR valve. Nothing that would cause coolant to leak like that. My car buddy here at work said it might be something with a gasket for the EGR valve. Not the valve itself, but where it sits on...the part that attaches to the engine block itself.

Last edited:

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Try cleaning the area you think it's coming from so you can pinpoint the leak better. I think that disc thing is a cam cap or cam seal or something like that. If coolant is leaking from there, it looks too high to be a bad head gasket.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Looks like oil...valve cover gasket looks fine...egr looks ok...

Clean it, carb-choke spray cans work, then drive ~block and check it out, new pics maybe.

Coolant leaks should be dry, water goes away, leave white dry ****.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Yea, I'm going to be cleaning it here soon. I just haven't had the time to really pay attention to this. I just noticed it the other day when I was checking the oil. I'll clean it iup this weekend and try and spot where it's coming from.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Cool, reguarl inspections is key, my honda is still going strong 240k out, only needed one egr two coil packs this far.

You never trust 3rd party products, like emissions.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Most definitely. I do all my own work as long as it's within my skillset. If I can knock this out myself, I'll do it myself. Save me some coin, you know?

And, I'm perfectly fine with 3rd party products, like emissions. I'll let you know how it goes for both my cars for their smog test here in the next month or so since they both have Magnaflow Highflow CATS. My Accord has a Duralast EGR Valve on it right now, lol.

Back