Detailed pics: changing thermostat, radiator and PS hoses

eksine

Reaction score
This is a gallery of what you can expect when you need to change your thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses and the 2 power steering hoses from the PS bottle. the car is a 2001 accord LX V6, almost 200k miles and I have not had any issues with the transmission at all, even if you don't beleive me. I've raced a 2003 mustang and I was matching his acceleration until my speed limiter stopped me at 120mph, anyways on to the guide:

first the power steering hoses, I replaced all the clips with what I think were called c-clamps, the screw type bands. one hose is straight-forward, take off the original clips with pliers and replace the hose, the other hose that leads down to the lower part of the radiator is a Pita. it's impossible to get a wrench in there until you use an adjustable wrench or short ratchet to twist it so you have a better angle to use your ratchet on it and then it's still hard. make sure you screw that bolt off all the way unlike what I did which was do it part way and I used too much force I could have broken off the metal tube from the radiator.the bolt is connected to a clamp that looks like 2 u-bolt, horseshoe type thing that clamps down on the metal tube.

next: replacing upper and lower rad hoses. the top hose is easy, the bottom hose required me to take off the from bumper. just take all of the plastic rivets off with a flathead, there are 2 metal bolts at each side near the wheels, there is 2 or 3 philips type plastic rivets in the center. once you have it off follow the hose and use pliers to take off the clamp holding the hose in. don't take off your radiator cap, it might release the coolant in your engine block, but maybe not, just in case don't do it.

I had to remove some hose assebmly near the thermostat housing in order to clear access for my wrench, this housing is near where the ATF fill bolt is (V6 models only). there is a "thing" (divot or what not) on the thermostat that you key into the housing so that it is in the right place. watch carefully at the old thermostat before you take it out and notice the position of the divot. also copy the orientation of the rubber seal on the old thermostat so you can copy that to your new thermostat. the new thermostat includes a new rubber seal but you must mount it on. when you replace it it will rest and "key" in place according to the dip in the housing and the "key thing on the thermostat", you'll see what I mean. there is only 2 bolts holding the housing in place. as I said the top bolt is hard to get to unless you loosed the other assembly in your way, doing that gave me the extra 1/2" needed to fit my wrench in barely. this is a good time to replace all your hose clamps with band type c-clamps, put the clamps on after the raised plastic ring on the radiator side and also on the housing, use common sense and you will see this ring bulge I'm talking about, it's like a halo ring to keep the hoses more snug, a bump if you will.

here's pictures of what you can expect:

this forum wont let me put up attachments, here's a photobucket album. this is really stupid this forum won't let me attach pictures, even cloud gives me free 15GB. p.s. I thought I had pics of the power steering hoses but i dont, sorry. it's not that hard though except for the bottom hose

http://s476.photobucket.com/user/bnphotography08/library/accord

Last edited:
Back