P1456 code and fuel vapour leak

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah...I did this on OBD0

27C256

Remember that! It's the EPROM, which is UV erase, for a PM6. I modified mine to run a 27C512 so it held two maps that could be switched between (by flipping a switch).

james'99

Reaction score
Yeah...I did this on OBD0

27C256

Remember that! It's the EPROM, which is UV erase, for a PM6. I modified mine to run a 27C512 so it held two maps that could be switched between (by flipping a switch).

I'm surprised it was EPROM. Why do you think they did that over PROM?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
IDK

I stopped paying attention back with OBD0. Really I guess I can modify OBD2, but I'm not nearly as strong in hardware changes.

shyste

Reaction score
went to Triple A today and the guy said i needed a new fuel tank, fuel pump and may possibly need an ORVR valve.. he lifted the car and showed me that the fuel was eating away at the fuel tank or leaving a residue on it. said it would cost 1300. going to look around to see if i can get this done cheaper. anyone have any input on this?

edit: went to another mechanic and he told me it just tar

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
went to Triple A today and the guy said i needed a new fuel tank, fuel pump and may possibly need an ORVR valve.. he lifted the car and showed me that the fuel was eating away at the fuel tank or leaving a residue on it. said it would cost 1000. going to look around to see if i can get this done cheaper. anyone have any input on this?

How rusty was everything relative? Possible DIY?

shyste

Reaction score
ok well wow what a few weeks. went to a mechanic. he didn't want to touch it because it was "to rusty" he then said he was going to try to clear the codes since my inspection is due next week. mind you the same 2 codes i had on were on the 1st time i had to get my e-vap canister fixed. so one of the codes wouldn't clear. he kept saying something must be really bad that it won't clear. it then cleared the light but didn't clear in the code checker. he then said something maybe un plugged and i then remembered that triple a said something was unplugged but didn't know what it went to.(mind you they were the same ones that worked on the e-vap canister) so come to find out the plug that was not plugged in ........... plugged into the e-vap canister. the receiver of the plug lost its clip and doesn't click in ( so its secure) so he plugged it up and finally the code cleared. drove over 50 miles. passed inspection this morning. hope this can help some people. so basically due to the unplugging of the e-vap canister it threw codes p1456 and another p code p1298.

james'99

Reaction score
ok well wow what a few weeks. went to a mechanic. he didn't want to touch it because it was "to rusty" he then said he was going to try to clear the codes since my inspection is due next week. mind you the same 2 codes i had on were on the 1st time i had to get my e-vap canister fixed. so one of the codes wouldn't clear. he kept saying something must be really bad that it won't clear. it then cleared the light but didn't clear in the code checker. he then said something maybe un plugged and i then remembered that triple a said something was unplugged but didn't know what it went to.(mind you they were the same ones that worked on the e-vap canister) so come to find out the plug that was not plugged in ........... plugged into the e-vap canister. the receiver of the plug lost its clip and doesn't click in ( so its secure) so he plugged it up and finally the code cleared. drove over 50 miles. passed inspection this morning. hope this can help some people. so basically due to the unplugging of the e-vap canister it threw codes p1456 and another p code p1298.

The 1298 is probably clearing but coming right back due to the failure of a circuit. It may possibly be the ECM. I'd advise a smoke test before continuing.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Trying to think of a 'DIY' way...I'm so used to smoke or sniffers, and no one has one!

Ok, get a air compessor and turn the reg WAY down, like 10psi. Or maybe one of those small tire filling things, 12vdc.
Pick out lines, clamp it to one end of the hose, turn on the air, listen for leaks. A spray bottle filled with a soap/water to show leaks.

Back