why is my car smoking?

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
Does it give you an extra 'poof' of smoke when you start it cold?

i started it today, however i did not video it. after letting it warm up , it threw code 73(cylinder 3 misfire).... i assume that is where the oil burning issue is coming from.

It has new spark plugs in it, and i cleaned them like 2 days ago, so those are ruled out.

only things i could think of is ; clogged injector(unlikely) , valve adjustment , or spark plug wire.

what are you thinking?

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
i took dizzy cap off, as well as the #3 spark plug wire.

cleaned dizzy cap(corrosion on inside - not terrible, and on # 3, and #4 on the outside were corroded.) , and electric taped the whole #3 spark plug wire to eliminate resistance/voltage drop.

seems to run on all four cylinders now. didn't reset ecu but ran just fine, with smoke of course.

i am resetting ecu currently. will get a cold start video today or tomorrow.

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
it ran beautifully , but still smoked before i reset the ecu.

now - after resetting the ecu - it is back on 3 cylinders i believe(no code set), and blows smoke still - ofcourse, just my luck.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Like I said. Oil rings.

Try seafoam. In your gas!

It cleans the oil rings, then they work.

I've got a friend with an '81 Civic, he's the original owner! He was burning ~1qt per 1000 miles. He tried my idea, 2 tanks. Finished the last tank of tweaked gas (he ran 2) awhile back & changed the oil. He told me today, NO LEVEL CHANGES since then!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
11717444_10100809138078319_6443928603252067059_o.jpg

His car with my car :)

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
okay, so i have ran 1 can of seafoam thru the gas tank so far. I also put "BARDAHLS no smoke " in the oil .

started running better, still smoking, not as bad, but still smoking.

drove 70 miles, and then CEL for o2 sensor and cylinder 3 misfire.

so i grabbed a few spark plug wires at the junkyard to try on the car.

I put one on last night, cleared the code, and started the car.

I let it run for about 3 minutes, came back to it , and there was oil pooling , so I shut it off.

I immediately looked at the VC, and oil pan. no leaks there or on the oil filter.

It was coming from the driver/timing side of the engine.

From what i have looked up , it is most likely the balance shaft seal popped out due to not having a retainer?

I will pull the VC off and the upper timing cover and inspect. But that's my update....

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yup, a seal failure most likely.

I would not use one of the 'stop-leak' additives, they usually are thicker, or get thicker, damaging other bits (accelerating wear). Like that seal.

Well, I did use ATF stop leak...in a leaky floor jack :) it hasn't leaked in 3 years! But I would not use it in a car.

JFISHTHECREATOR

Reaction score
Yup, a seal failure most likely.

I would not use one of the 'stop-leak' additives, they usually are thicker, or get thicker, damaging other bits (accelerating wear). Like that seal.

Well, I did use ATF stop leak...in a leaky floor jack :) it hasn't leaked in 3 years! But I would not use it in a car.

I usually don't use stuff like that , but a friend had recommended it. I used to to thicken up the oil because someone had said maybe 5w-20 was too thin. obviously the additive made it way too thick.

Back