Stereo settings adjustment help (Pioneer)

Accord281

Reaction score
So yesterday me and a buddy of mine installed an amp on my 6x9's in the back (Kenwoods). My buddy gave me the amp and he adjusted all of the settings on the amp since he has used it a lot before, but I was hoping you guys could give me some expertise on the best settings for the deck. I have a Pioneer DEH-P6700MP. The music I listen to varies, but I generally have Timbaland, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Fort Minor, things like that in. I like to have some good bass when I am listening. And please don't say "Go buy subs" cause I have several reasons currently why I don't want them. I have included pics to make this thread more enjoyable and easier to give advice.

First is the basic EQ. Here it is currently:

eq.jpg

The deck has an "EQ EX" option, which I assume lets you further tweak the eq curve:

bass.jpg

treble.jpg

I have the RCA output set up so that the full sound range is going to the back (since the speakers are 3 ways). Since it is set that way, the deck calls it "NONFAD" instead of "SUB". I assume this controls how much louder the rears should be:

nonfad.jpg

I'm not sure what this option does, but Comp and Bmx both have 2 settings (Comp 1, Bmx 1, etc):

comp.jpg

I also have HPF turned off, though if I turn it on, it has 3 settings: 50, 80, and 125. Again, since I have 3 ways in the back, I figured this should be off:

hpf.jpg

I also have "Loud" set to "Mid" (options are Low, Mid, High).

I am still running factory speakers in the front. I turned the fade to the rear more so that when I turn up the volume, they won't get too loud and distort.

So that's basically it. What changes to the EQ and other settings would you guys recommend? I am not very educated when it comes to stereos so any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I found the manual of the 670 online, your deck won't have quite as many features but they are very similar models and helps explain what these features do: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...t_11221/192089347DEHP670MPOperationManual.pdf

If you change those settings, you should re-adjust the amp to make sure you don't push your speakers too hard. Although it is best not to use the deck gain and just use the amplifier. The "loud" setting can also increase the risk of messing things up.

The comp & bmx are basically additional music processing options you can enable on the deck.

Personally I would have done things in the reverse order, upgrading your front speakers first and using the HPF on the rear speakers so that the majority of the vocals & instruments sound like they are coming from the front.

Accord281

Reaction score
That deck is nearly identical to mine. So should I set my EQ curve to flat and turn Loud off and purely do changes on the amp? I may buy some front speakers today, but we'll see what happens. Thanks for the help.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the comp and BMX are pioneer's way of trying to restore the sound on compressed audio formats like MP3s. if you like the sound, then turn it on.

i would set the HPF for the rears at 50Hz at the minimum, then maybe bump it to 80Hz if you hear distortion. HPF = high pass filter...it does the "opposite" of its name and it is the point where the speakers wont play any "lower." the low pass filter is the inverse.

as for the EQ...you can mess with it as much as you want, really...its free :lawl:

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
DEF upgrade the fronts first. you'll be amazed at how big a diff it makes over rears. i have two 6.5's in the front amplified and i use the rears for fill

Back