98 LX with loud clunking noise over any imperfection in road

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Hey guys so this clunking is very new to this car. It might have started on monday and has gotten worse to the point where i decided not to the drive the car.

Edit: i should mention that i have replaced every component of the front suspension over the past 6 months.

I got underneath and shook everything with my hands and the only thing that had play was the axle. Im a DIY'er and all the work done so far is just me learning from manuals and diy guides. I have no clue how much play an axle should have. I do understand that there should be some play but again no way of me knowing.

Here are two videos that i took. One with me inside the car where you can hear the clunking and the other video is me under the car moving the axle with my hands. Is there too much play?

Clunking from inside car:

https://youtu.be/TbLailAIudc

Clunking from underneath car:

https://youtu.be/MSWrx7HKlcU

Let me know what you guys think. I like to this of this as pretty urgent. If the issue is indeed the axle, i want to order one right away. Should i buy anything else with the axle or does everything i need come as a kit?

Last edited:

Efrain760

Reaction score
I have clunking too but I think on mine it's all the bushings for the sway bars and I think I need shocks maybe I'll try to get a small clip too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

604ACCORD

Reaction score
I have clunking too but I think on mine it's all the bushings for the sway bars and I think I need shocks maybe I'll try to get a small clip too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prolly is i had it too changed the sway bushings and no more clunk

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
I used the complete strut assembly. Everything is brand new. Less than 6 montha old. UCA, LCA, links, sway bushing, tie rods,

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Update: ive been busy this weekend. Yesterday i was doing front brakes and noticed that the right outter cv joint boot had a tiny tear and the inner, smaller clamp was sliding off the axle. I went ahead and replaced the axle instead of repairing the joint because i also wanted to see if my clunking woud get better. It did, but did not fully go away. While i had the knuckle out, i noticed that the outer tie rod was very loose and had little or no resistance. I slept on it and today i took off the inner tie rod boot and inspected the joint. There was barely any grease and it had an orange tint! Replaced that and noise is still there.

Out of curiosity i jacked up the front wheels and started rocking them to check for play.

The passenger side was okay. The driver side was not. When i grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 o clock i had maybe 3/8" play up and down, in and out. I looked at the ball joints and tie rods while doing this and nothing seemed to wiggle or have play.

What's going on?

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
If you have play in the wheel it might be your wheel bearing. Jack up the front and remove both wheels, calipers, and caliper brackets. Next put back two lug nuts on to the rotor across from each other to hold the rotor on. Spin each rotor like normal and feel for a imperfection (hard to describe what you are going to feel) but refer to your passenger side if it had no play, that will guide you on a normal wheel bearing feel. Basically if its the wheel bearing you feel the ball bearings out of place as you turn the hub. Hope this helps

Fusionreactives

Reaction score
Thanks eclipse, ill give that a shot today.

By the way, when the wheel was moving in and out, i saw the outter cv joint/axle move in and out. It wasnt as much as the wheel but it was enough to make me feel concerned. There is absolutely no clicking when turning the wheel. The clunking/knocking/tapping sound is Only over imperfections in the road and when hard braking. I have to be honest, its driving me nuts.

I dont really hear the typical wheel bearing growl/hum at highway speeds. Its just the clunking sound...

Could it be the automatic transmission? Maybe whatever the axle snaps into? Do axles go bad without a torn boot? Do axle seals actually keep the axle nice and snug?!

Datsun, it was a monroe quickstruts. It comes with fully assembled with all new parts. I have an f23a1, auto non abs. Tranny shifts smooth, not losing fluid. No PS leaks.

Im lost!

Back