99 Accord heater temp control knob issue

Uncle Mark

Reaction score
Howdy, I think my temperature adjustment control knob for the heater/AC is dirty and not making proper contact. I noticed when weather warmed up and I turned it to cool, the heater did not want to get warm again. After awhile it went full hot and I have left it there ever since -- BUT NOW I am losing heat sometimes, if I wiggle the knob it comes warm again and sometimes stays warm but sometimes gets cool even though knob stays static. I AM THINKING IT IS A DIRTY POTENTIOMETER behind that knob, I WONDER HOW TO ACCESS THIS CONTROL SO I CAN TRY TO CLEAN IT? I do not think there is any problem (yet) with any of the other controls for the AC/heater system. Or, is this control vacuum operated? How do I remove that knob without breaking anything? I wish I could just spray some contact cleaner in there and fix it; if I knew how to access it, I could see if I can clean it. THANKS for your reply!! - Uncle Mark

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The knobs just pull off. To remove the HVAC panel you'll need to remove the radio bezel, there's two screws at the bottom and one behind the clock, it just pops off after that. Then there should be 2-4? screws holding the HVAC unit in.

Could be a bad cable, actuator, even the water valve on the firewall. Hard to tell until you pull it apart and investigate.

Back