mx5Kev's Accord V6 Coupe,EUDM, new pics (56k warning)

mx5kev

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Last summer was given to me an Av6 Coupe. It had the usual rough shifting problem and it's owner didn't want to take it to the junkyard.
It has spent almost a year without moving under a tree.
The car is now driving well, but I will present you what I did on the car from the beginning.

So after a short drive, the cars was home :

67h9.jpg

and after some Hard work cleaning it out :

s6k0.jpg

mrc6.jpg

6lsd.jpg

Don't have before pics, but the Inside was quite a mess too, the owner had a 2 din Pionneer nav sytem installed and left it in :thumbup:

9dpc.jpg

Before taking out the tranny, I did some little DIY to get a cleaner look or fix little things.

I started with taking out the front park assist, and Hide the ugly display of the rear parking system installed on the car :

zq8f.jpg

Much better now :

naeg.jpg

and some cables out :

iz0i.jpg

Then I've relocated the headlight washer button and the electric headlight height adjustment button in the place of the ashtray because they were just left hidden behind the radio :

Cut out the ashtray cover with a dremel the size of both button :

0iqu.jpg

Perfect fit :

x4g8.jpg

And then firmly mounted on the ashtray holder under the radio :

wrcd.jpg

The result in the car :

egcu.jpg

And to be able to make the new licence plate, I had to take the technical control in France and failed it :

dnuv.jpg

It says that the rear brake pads are severly worn, the engin not tightly maintained, and that it has worn tyres. But we learn that the suspension is healthy, not bad, and I have corrected all the defaults.

After that I started to take out the gearbox to perform the rebuild. That'll come in my next post ;-)

Last edited:

Got02Accord

Reaction score
Re: Kev's AV6 Coupe, tranny rebuild

great lookin car! Wish you didnt make this thread though... *currently googling because I want that cubby that you mounted the headlight buttons on and i want the electric headlight adjusters.....*

mx5kev

Reaction score

Thanks, but in the US and Canada you got other nice stuff like the keyless entry, the TCS, or the auto on lights. In Switzerland, Lucky fellow got the bose soundsystem as oem mount. In France their was a unique version wich was close from your LX. Anyway, don't be jealous of my lights washer, the pump is dead, and costs 150 euros by Honda's, and didn't found any aftermarket on eBay or on our online parts reseller.

So then the **** got serious, pulled up the car :

I have printed the workshop manual to help me, just had to follow what it said.

Then had to take off the bumper, battery and airbox, so far so good :

After that, I had to disconnect the harness and take out the starter. Broke on cheap 17mm nut on it :

I had to remove the lower ball joints in order to take out the front beam

The front beam is out, notice the front engine older was dead :

Notice that it had a shock and was not very nicely repaired. I painted it with V33 mat black paint, already painted some chassis part of my civic with it and it lasts great on cars. Perfect for hidden parts.

Took out the driveshafts off and protected the finished surfaces with a bag.
Removed the shift cable too and the torque converter drive plate bolts :

Next step was to remove all the bolts holding the gearbox to the engine. Had some really hard time with one of those bolts :

But managed to take it out.

Now comes the tranny opening part, maybe the biggest piece of the work. It will be for my next message :)

twofast4u

Reaction score

Damn! Good job man! Keep it up! Where were the headlight washers located originally?

JV6

Reaction score

I love it when ppl from outside north america join the forum, so interesting and jelly sometimes lol. Keep it up man, good work so far!

mx5kev

Reaction score

Thanks again, if you mean the button, they were here :

1395880_553590728065294_1948623080_n.jpg

(it's not my car got it with the 2din already fitted)

Let's go back to the tranny,

Installed it on the table for the work, my parents were happy with the fact they couldn't eat outside in july :favorites37:

I started with taking out all the solenoids to test them with a 12V battery, they were all okay.

So I removed the top cover, loosened the nuts :

I had to build my own extractor to remove the pinions, it's not clean, but I did with what I had :

I've a bit damaged the shafts, buts it's ok.

Then I had to modify my extractor to remove the shafts cover, it's a bit redneck but it did the job too :

We can see the dirt in the box, and that the stray filter was really dirty :

While waiting for my precision internation rebuild kit master set that I've had orderd from winnerschoicetransmissions, I've painted my suspension forks and the torque converter cover :

And unscrewed the valves bodies and servo bodies :

and cleaned everything with gasoline. I've changed the valves caps becauses I've had dammaged them, they were stuck with burnt oils, and there was clogged in the bodies :

Luckily I quickly received my overhaul kit :

mzj2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I took the risk to put aftermarkets clutch disks.

So I opened the clutches, as you can see some disks are severly worn, some overheated and others are like new.

I then had to build another tool to remove the pistons, this one is cleaner than the other, and was au pleasure to use, didn't damage anything :

Control of the ball bearing, slammed new o-rings, cleaned out everything :

After that, you have to do everything you've already done backward, pretting great attention to the tightening torque of valves bodies screws but first :beer:.

So everything back in order :

Next step, mounting the box back in the car, I had to buy a small crane for that work, it's really to heavy, even when you're three.

(By the way, I didn't say it before, but this is no tutorial, I'm not responsible of anything if you start to work on you're tranny whith no idea what you're doing ;-) )

Last edited:

Brad2274

Reaction score

wow impressive work that you rebuilt it yourself, beautiful color on your coupe by the way. whats with the horn near your drivers side shock tower?
oh and i would totally trade my usdm grill with factory gold emblems for your euro grill :naughty:

Solidus

Reaction score

Im impressed with what you are doing as well. Restoration work can be hard and tedious, Keep up the great work.

Reaction score

Don't mean to be repetitive, but I am impressed as well!! Especially with making your own gadget's & tool's to help you along the way. Jealous of the color for sure too. Welcome to 6thgen! Excited to see more from you..:happy107:

Back