Lower timing cover tensioning nut - rubber washer - stupid question

mossberg

Reaction score
Putting things back together after a timing belt job and after installing the lower timing cover, I'm trying to slip the rubber washer over the tension adjusting nut. There isn't enough clearance between the cover and the nut to slip this washer onto the groove on the nut where the washer is supposed to sit. I tried removing the lower timing cover bolts and this gave me a little bit more flex/clearance where I could push the timing cover down over the nut, but still not enough to get the rubber washer fully seated all the way around the nut.

In an Eric The Car Guy video, he simply leaves it out, but that seems like a good way to get dust/debris inside the timing cover and onto the belts and gears.

briansmobile1 installs it, but his lower timing cover has much more flex than mine. You can see the washer being installed at the 42:20 mark:
https://youtu.be/aMXAZSec18Y?t=42m20s

Any tips for getting this rubber washer installed? It has two "ears" , but there's no obvious slots in the timing cover for these ears to sit. Seems odd they would design the washer this way - perhaps I'm missing something.

It's part # 22 in this diagram:
timing_cover_f058eb18a320c8e15f3e7d461c846e92f8cec8aa.png

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I left mine out. Had to remove everything to replace some seals 20k miles later. No dust.

Just keep trying I guess

mossberg

Reaction score
I left mine out. Had to remove everything to replace some seals 20k miles later. No dust.

Just keep trying I guess
Thanks, that's good to know.

I might put another (metal) washer underneath the tensioning nut so that it sits taller relative to the lower cover, which should make it easier to get the rubber washer between the nut and lower cover.

mossberg

Reaction score
I placed an extra washer under the adjusting nut and that helped create enough clearance between the nut and timing cover to slip the rubber washer over the nut.

Back