Inconsistent startup

MAR387

Reaction score
Hey guys -

It's been quite a long time that I've posted and that's because A. My accord has been good to me, and B. I bought an Evo X about a year ago :).

The car is a 2001 Accord LX 5spd with 164,9xx miles. I've been having a weird starting issue with the car. Let me state the following facts:

- Battery is relatively new and was tested - looks good
- Starter was tested - looks good
- Spark plugs - Were replaced about a 1-1.5 years
- Wires - Not sure when they've been replaced, probably years ago :)

So here's what occurs. I sometimes turn the key to start the car and it just clicks. Doesn't crank what so ever. The battery is working fine because I can see all the lights on my gauge cluster light up and the head unit display shows whatever graphic non-sense.

Sometimes I have to attempt to start the car several times with it just clicking, and eventually it cranks over and starts.

When I say this is inconsistent, sometimes the car starts on the first time I turn the key and other times it can take 4-5 times to finally get the car started.

I'm having the front brakes replaced this Friday and I mentioned this issue to the mechanic as well.

Any ideas? Thanks!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
check your ground.. happened to my celica.. i had to sand off the paint so that it had better contact with the chassis

MAR387

Reaction score
check your ground.. happened to my celica.. i had to sand off the paint so that it had better contact with the chassis

Thank you gentlemen. Are the ground connections underneath the backseat or in the trunk? Thanks!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
it's one of the big 3... on the celica, it was near the battery.. forgot where the one on the 6ga is haha

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
There are three in the engine bay one from the neg terminal to radiator frame, another on the driver side mount and another from the pos terminal to the transmission......search for the write up

MAR387

Reaction score
Back