Jacking up 2000 Accord via factory pinch weld

Clevor

Reaction score
Bought this car used and tried to use the OEM tire jack yesterday. Are you supposed to jack the car up off the edge of the pinch weld, which is maybe 1/4" thick??? Normally the jack pad straddles the pinch weld panel sticking down from the car, and the pads contact the base of the pinch weld. But does Honda want you to jack off the edge of the pinch weld? Wouldn't the panel bend over under the weight of the car?

Clevor

Reaction score
I'm wondering whether the OEM jack I have is the right one for a 2000 Honda Accord EX. The jack pad on this scissors jack does not have a deep notch to straddle the pinch weld, but a very shallow V depression. You have no choice but to apply force along the bottom edge of the pinch weld panel.

agginline86

Reaction score
it's the right spot

some members who are low actually bend the pinch weld in so it's flush to the rest of the frame

SykVSyx

Reaction score
A pic of the jack if you are needing clarification would help.

The pinch welds are definately strong enough to support the car on the jack.

I would recommend any other spot unless you are jacking up from the front/rear.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
That's the right spot and any jack can be used I use aftermarket hydraulic jack and it doesn't bend anything. You also can lift by 2 front tow hoops or plenty other safe spots. As a member mentioned before after lowering my stock jack doesn't actually fit under the "weld" part the car too low...and I haven't found a solution for that yet

Clevor

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys. I did try to lift directly off the edge of the pinch weld flange using the OEM jack and it doesn't get all bent out of shape like on American cars. So I guess I can use a floor jack on it without an adapter.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Harbor Freight low-pro jack solves everything. And as far as the pinch welds, I would use them sparingly - save those for the shops. On mine, it bent and folded up under weight of the car. Really all depends. I avoid them if I can help it and figure out your own jack point on the subframe of the car.. At your own risk of course. That's just how I do things haha, I have my own methods.

Back