Derek's 2002 Coupe EX (5MT)

phi1542

Reaction score
Re: phi1542's 02 Coupe EX

Thanks for the link.. For some reason it doesn't list for 2nd gen TL but all the CL's are there I think they are the same though.
No problem! What do you mean? Get the one for the 98-02 Accord.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

phi1542

Reaction score

I got a question for you manual drivers... So I'm having this issue driving.

Do I have to be at a complete stop to put it into first gear? Some of my friends tell me I do and some I don't. When I'm at a stop sign it's just quick stop and go. I don't have time to stop completely, put it in first, then go. It takes too long and people behind me get mad. Also at a stop light when I'm approaching it, it is red. But when I get to the line and it suddenly turns green, my car is rolling at like 5 mph or less so basically almost at a stop but still moving a little. I would have to stop completely, put it into first, then go... but again that takes way too long especially if the light is green. So is it really true it has to be at a complete stop to put it into first? Because those situations have been a serious PITA lol the reason why my friends tell me this is because they say if you put it in first while the car is moving you will ruin the synchro.

Thanks please help me!

Sino

Reaction score

You don't want first for anything more than crawling at a couple mph, it'll be too jarring a difference for anything faster. 2nd is generally the gear you want for that situation, just give it a bit of clutch and a solid amount of gas if you're going really slow to avoid the engine shudder.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

phi1542

Reaction score

You don't want first for anything more than crawling at a couple mph, it'll be too jarring a difference for anything faster. 2nd is generally the gear you want for that situation, just give it a bit of clutch and a solid amount of gas if you're going really slow to avoid the engine shudder.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yeah I'm just crawling a few mph so damn near stopped but not completely. So it won't ruin the synchro? Yeah usually if my car is rolling enough I'll use second gear. Only when it's crawling close to nothing I don't know what to do.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Somehow my car crawls in 1st with no gas and won't stall as long as the road is flat.

Sino

Reaction score

Yeah I'm just crawling a few mph so damn near stopped but not completely. So it won't ruin the synchro? Yeah usually if my car is rolling enough I'll use second gear. Only when it's crawling close to nothing I don't know what to do.
For that scenario where you're coming on a red light and it turns green before you come to a full stop, and you're slowly rolling, I clutch down, put it in first, give it some gas and let the clutch out slowly, not much different from a normal takeoff. Won't wear transmission any differently from a normal takeoff either. If you're going fast enough that the car lurches when you shift down, in whatever gear, it means you needed more gas to equal out the speeds.

This guy does a few youtube vids explaining some of this stuff in an easy to understand way and I found it very useful for improving the way I drive my car. Talks about rev matching about 2:30 in.

https://youtu.be/FnXLZg_O1rk?t=150

Last edited:

phi1542

Reaction score

For that scenario where you're coming on a red light and it turns green before you come to a full stop, and you're slowly rolling, I clutch down, put it in first, give it some gas and let the clutch out slowly, not much different from a normal takeoff. Won't wear transmission any differently from a normal takeoff either. If you're going fast enough that the car lurches when you shift down, in whatever gear, it means you needed more gas to equal out the speeds.

This guy does a few youtube vids explaining some of this stuff in an easy to understand way and I found it very useful for improving the way I drive my car. Talks about rev matching about 2:30 in.

https://youtu.be/FnXLZg_O1rk?t=150
Ok thanks! I'll use first gear in those situations now rather than go to a complete stop, go into first, then take off. I look like an idiot in those situations lol I just wanted to know if I would mess up the synchro or not I been so paranoid about it ever since my friend told me that.

Yeah I've seen that video and it helped me understand. I learned how to rev match off that video and it's a game changer. He makes great videos

Sino

Reaction score

From what I understand about manual trannies the only things you can really do to minimize wear is to ride the clutch as little as possible and to try and match RPMs when you shift gears. The latter I believe is what increases the longevity of the synchros.

Back