Is the Euro R steering rack a quicker ratio?

Bense

Reaction score
It's all in your head. A good number of us had/have upgraded suspension, never once complained about slow steering.

If he wants to upgrade his steering, let him upgrade his steering. No sense in having a subjective opinion over an objective question. It sounds to me like you're just mad/jealous that you didn't think of this idea first, or that you simply don't know.

OP: The Accord type R (CH1) which is identical to the "Euro R" Accord (CL1) is going to be different from our CG1. In Europe, there is no "Euro R", it's the Accord Type R.

It's also based on the Torneo Chassis, which is slightly smaller exterior wise than our Accord chassis here. Reason why is due to other countries having laws that differ from ours. So the engineers design a vehicle that doesn't exceed the established dimensions that would result it in being classified as a 'full size saloon, etc'.

Another consideration to take is the fact that All CL1 are going to be RHD. The question or not as to whether you can take apart an entire RHD steering rack and use a RHD rack, RHD pinion in a LHD rack should be taken into consideration. If it is not possible, then you would then want to look at what countries in Euro sold the CH1 model that were LHD. Then you would want to make a list of the part numbers and see how it compares to any of the US models. If they are the same, then that tells you that answers your question.

If they are unique, and not found in any of the North America Honda/Acura parts catalogs, then that suggests that it might be unique. Whether or not this means it is a 'faster ratio' or not will likely not be able to be determined unless you travel over to Europe yourself and measure it, ask someone over there to check for you, or obtain the parts yourself, and measure them.

Anyone else that criticizes you, tells you that you're wrong, and doesn't have a solid concrete answer is because they haven't taken the time to reverse engineer it themselves.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If he wants to upgrade his steering, let him upgrade his steering. No sense in having a subjective opinion over an objective question. It sounds to me like you're just mad/jealous that you didn't think of this idea first, or that you simply don't know.

Anyone else that criticizes you, tells you that you're wrong, and doesn't have a solid concrete answer is because they haven't taken the time to reverse engineer it themselves.

Yes, I am completely mad/jealous over something that doesn't exist for these cars.

Last edited:

F23Fanboy

Reaction score

OP: The Accord type R (CH1) which is identical to the "Euro R" Accord (CL1) is going to be different from our CG1. In Europe, there is no "Euro R", it's the Accord Type R.

It's also based on the Torneo Chassis, which is slightly smaller exterior wise than our Accord chassis here. Reason why is due to other countries having laws that differ from ours. So the engineers design a vehicle that doesn't exceed the established dimensions that would result it in being classified as a 'full size saloon, etc'.

Another consideration to take is the fact that All CL1 are going to be RHD. The question or not as to whether you can take apart an entire RHD steering rack and use a RHD rack, RHD pinion in a LHD rack should be taken into consideration. If it is not possible, then you would then want to look at what countries in Euro sold the CH1 model that were LHD. Then you would want to make a list of the part numbers and see how it compares to any of the US models. If they are the same, then that tells you that answers your question.

If they are unique, and not found in any of the North America Honda/Acura parts catalogs, then that suggests that it might be unique. Whether or not this means it is a 'faster ratio' or not will likely not be able to be determined unless you travel over to Europe yourself and measure it, ask someone over there to check for you, or obtain the parts yourself, and measure them.

Thanks man, I really do think that our gen Accords could do with a faster rack, unfortunately I think I am going to pass on it for now. It would be nice if it was drop in conversion but alas nothing in this hobby is ever really that easy :rotflmao:. Unfortunately I do not have any contacts across the pond, but the biggest road block would be finding a LHD steering rack, so far I have only found Type R racks being sold from the UK in RHD. Not very hopeful at this point tbh and I have some pretty big project plans that I have planned before I consider this one, but if I do I will definitely make sure I make a post about it. :)

Bense

Reaction score
The Acura CL/TL has a faster rack, that does work on our cars. I am not sure if we need to use the rear subframe from the CL/TL that the steering rack bolts onto. But it's definitely a lower ratio.

CL/TL uses the same lower control arms and steering knuckles as all 6g Accords (I4 and V6).

Bense

Reaction score
From the service manuals:
6g Accord I4
16.09:1
3.11 LTL

6g Accord V6
15.77:1
3.05 LTL

99-03 TL Base
3.11 LTL

99-03 TL Type S
16.08:1
2.88 LTL

For the CL, I've got the factory service manual in front of me and this is what it says. But I don't think that the ratios are correct.
01-03 CL Base
15.84:1***
3.06 LTL

01-03 CL Type S
16.11:1
2.88:1***

I just spent the past 5.5 hours in the junkyard getting the last parts that I need for my J32A2 6MT swap that I'm putting in my 2001 Accord Sedan 5MT. I had already dropped the subframe and the 'K' member (the cross member that the steering rack, lower control arms, sway bar connects to) from the 2003 CL Type S 6MT. Additionally, I also dropped a 'K' member from a 2001 CL Type S (automatic).

The '03 6MT parts were mostly corroded (car had state inspection stickers from PA on the windshield). So I mixed and matched the better of the parts, while retaining the 6MT 'K' member.

While having both of the steering racks side by side, removed entirely from the 'K' members, I checked to see if there was a difference in the LTL between the two. They were identical, and below 3.0 LTL.

If the ps rack mounting brackets are the same between these models, then this will confirm whether or not they interchange with our accords. 2003 CL base ps rack interchanges with 98-02 Accord, as per Rockauto.

Bense

Reaction score
Yes, I am completely mad/jealous over something that doesn't exist for these cars.

That's inane. If there's anything you should be mad/jealous about, is that you've been here ~9 years longer than I have, and have ~9000 more posts than I do. Yet I'm proving you wrong.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
From the service manuals:
6g Accord I4
3.11 LTL

6g Accord V6
15.77:1
3.05 LTL

99-03 TL Base
3.11 LTL

99-03 TL Type S
16.08:1
2.88 LTL

For the CL, I've got the factory service manual in front of me and this is what it says. But I don't think that the ratios are correct.
01-03 CL Base
15.84:1***
3.06 LTL

01-03 CL Type S
16.11:1
2.88:1***

I just spent the past 5.5 hours in the junkyard getting the last parts that I need for my J32A2 6MT swap that I'm putting in my 2001 Accord Sedan 5MT. I had already dropped the subframe and the 'K' member (the cross member that the steering rack, lower control arms, sway bar connects to) from the 2003 CL Type S 6MT. Additionally, I also dropped a 'K' member from a 2001 CL Type S (automatic).

The '03 6MT parts were mostly corroded (car had state inspection stickers from PA on the windshield). So I mixed and matched the better of the parts, while retaining the 6MT 'K' member.

While having both of the steering racks side by side, removed entirely from the 'K' members, I checked to see if there was a difference in the LTL between the two. They were identical, and below 3.0 LTL.

If the ps rack mounting brackets are the same between these models, then this will confirm whether or not they interchange with our accords. 2003 CL base ps rack interchanges with 98-02 Accord, as per Rockauto.

That's inane. If there's anything you should be mad/jealous about, is that you've been here ~9 years longer than I have, and have ~9000 more posts than I do. Yet I'm proving you wrong.

First, I don't care. Congrats if you are correct, would you like me to mail you a cookie? Second, you've already stated you're not sure if the manuals are correct or if the racks will even interchange. So, for the time being, technically, you haven't proven me wrong and if you do, so what. Who cares? Finding a quicker steering ratio hasn't been a concern for 99.99% of the owners of these cars as you can clearly see. I mean congrats if you get it to work but being all ****ty about it doesn't make you the bigger/better person. It's like you just need to feel justified for some reason.

1 post, in 9+ years I might be proved wrong. I think that has something to say for itself.

Last edited:

Bense

Reaction score
First, I don't care. Congrats if you are correct, would you like me to mail you a cookie? Second, you've already stated you're not sure if the manuals are correct or if the racks will even interchange. So, for the time being, technically, you haven't proven me wrong and if you do, so what. Who cares? Finding a quicker steering ratio hasn't been a concern for 99.99% of the owners of these cars as you can clearly see. I mean congrats if you get it to work but being all ****ty about it doesn't make you the bigger/better person. It's like you just need to feel justified for some reason.

1 post, in 9+ years I might be proved wrong. I think that has something to say for itself.

Lol. This is almost embarrassing. Maybe you should re-read my post a few times and let it sink in.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
always fun when people get really salty after maybe...possibly...don't know yet for sure...finding something "new" to do with an almost 20 year old chassis :lawl:

i don't understand why all this matters anyway. having owned a 6th gen 4 cylinder and having extensive seat time in a 2G TL-S, you can tell the TL steering wheel doesn't turn quite as far at full lock. only difference.

swapping a 6 cylinder engine into a 4 cylinder car is the bigger amount of effort here, and more thought should be given to that over the lock to lock number or minuscule differences in ratio.

Back