Odd wiper electrical symptom

SupraGuy

Reaction score
So this has been sort of a thing with my Accord. With the current weather it's been more of a thing.

My wiper switch is acting strange. If I turn on the wipers to intermittent, they will sometimes not come on at all, until I hit the washer pump. I usually need only hit that for a moment, and then the wipers will work more or less as expected. Sometimes the wipers will move only for the moment that the washer pump is engaged, then stop immediately when the switch is released, without even returning back to the bottom of the windshield. This is more likely to happen if I turn the wiper switch to the second (fully on) position.

If they are working on intermittent, and I have the time interval switch set at minimum, they will work as expected while the car is stopped, but will come fully on while the car is in motion, as if the switch were in the second (fully on) position. They will go back to intermittent if the car stops. I suspect that the time interval gets smaller for other settings, but I haven't timed it.

Putting the switch on fast wipe seems to work as expected.

My suspicion is that there must be an integration relay box that controls the intermittent wiper function, and returns the wipers to the bottom position on the windshield that's to blame, but I won't rule out the possibility that it's the switch itself that's faulty. I'd like to know what it might be, so that I can grab the correct part from the wrecker.

SupraGuy

Reaction score
LOL. Nope.

I still need to pull the bottom of the dash out and look at all of the connections. I can make the wipers go, so it's not a safety issue, and I've got plenty of other things on my plate. if I had somewhere specific to look, I'd probably bump it up in priority, but without something to check specifically, it'll probably just wait until it's warmer outside and I can spend some time poking around under the dash with a multimeter.

Back