Leak...Need Advice

handmedown

Reaction score
I first noticed this leak like 2 weeks ago and finally went to the dealer today to get it checked out. Since they were booked today, the service technician just gave it a quick look and said that it is possibly from the transmission/torque converter area and would cost 1100+ to fix.

photo2-1.jpg

(V6 btw)
photo1-1.jpg

Now could anyone possibly confirm this, and if it would be safe to make a ~300mi trip to LA? Help would be really appreciated :)

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Your radiator hoses look fine. If you're talking about that pea sized drop under the car, gauge how much fluid it's losing then figure out if the leak is worth the trouble to fix. It will get worse over time though so don't forget about it.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
By the way man, if you end up using the UV dye - you can get it for like $6.50 at O'reilly's or Autozone. Save ya a hassle. It saved my ass before too finding an oil leak! Works wonders.

handmedown

Reaction score
Your radiator hoses look fine. If you're talking about that pea sized drop under the car, gauge how much fluid it's losing then figure out if the leak is worth the trouble to fix. It will get worse over time though so don't forget about it.

Yeah I was referring to that little drop. I just took a pic right when it dripped down.

Get under the car and use some brake cleaner and a rag to clean the area so all is well and clean. Put some engine oil dye in your engine and drive around for a day or two. Take a black light and get under the car...use the blacklight and follow where the oil is leaking from.

..the dye i'm talking about http://www.nextag.com/Four-Seasons-69088-Oz-1245465131/prices-html
By the way man, if you end up using the UV dye - you can get it for like $6.50 at O'reilly's or Autozone. Save ya a hassle. It saved my ass before too finding an oil leak! Works wonders.

Thanks guys. Doing this as we speak.

Thanks for the replies!

handmedown

Reaction score
Jack up your car and take a look, never take someone's word for it.

Here's an update. I had time to jack up the car and see what's going on:

photo1-3.jpg

photo11.jpg

photo21.jpg

Floor View. Bottom of the photo is the front most.
photo4.jpg

From inside the engine.
photo3-2.jpg

photo2-2-1.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics.

From what I see, I'm guessing that its from my transmission, correct? Please note: that I do not have much knowledge about what's under the hood. Help would be appreciated. Again.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Here's an update. I had time to jack up the car see what's going on:

photo3-1.jpg

Floor View.

From inside the engine.

Sorry for the blurry pics.

From what I see, I'm guessing that its from my transmission, correct? Please note: that I do not have much knowledge about what's under the hood. Help would be appreciated. Again.

Linking pics of your email doesn't work. Upload them to a site such as imageshack or photobucket and then re-link them again on here. And a view from directly under the back of the engine might be better

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^+1. The splashguard in the forefront of the photo is really blocking us from seeing anything. ;)

Back