How can we lower the risk of being rear ended?

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Sneaky,... lol, well, I guess you can give her rides now :)
Technically I can, if she calls me huh lol. Nah, I doubt it tho b/c her car seemed to be drivable. She texed me back a couple of times when I told her some tips about handling the situation at that time, but that was it. I got a call from a cop later on, and I explained him what I saw at the scene. I guess things have been working out okay with her (so far). :cool: No more further approach as a married man lol.

I actually asked the adjuster about this same issue, he said as long as you have a stock piece to go back on the car when it goes to the salvage or whereever they take it, then you can have your aftermarket part back, otherwise, no replacement then it is the insurance companies part....
This is one of the reasons why it's good idea to keep one's stock parts (if possible).

David456

Banned
Reaction score
You should try and Do the possible two things which are:

*Keep at least a car and a 50 percent range between yourself and the car forward so that you can shift up if need be, or get out of the way.

*Use your decorative mirrors. Learning what is occurring around you is key, so that the prospective to take challenging activity is improved.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Thanx for your comment, David. And welcome to the site.

Yes. Leaving an extra distance from a car infront of you can be one of the ways to avoid having a secondary disaster (being sandwiched).

Not sure what decorative mirrors are, but paying attention to your rear view is critical. I agree.

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score
I guess what hasn't been mentioned is revving your engine in neutral or on a downshift to create some exhaust noise to get the attention of the driver behind you. I do that if im passing people in another lane and think they might attempt a blind lane change.

maybe hook up another horn facing behind and use that haha

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^That's a good idea. One thing is that you've got to have modded exhausts.

Sometimes I think of myself having a set of strobe lights, paired w/ additional side markers mounted by the side of my rear license plate. Wire them to an aux button somewhere, and flash them at a car behind you.

This can maybe warn / intimidate those annoying tailgaters, too.

AngusTEx

Reaction score
It seems every advice has been said. But there is one thing...

I know there are some geniuses here who think it was a good idea to smoke and tint their tail lights. I don't care how much you think how bright your brake lights still are. You're just asking to be rear ended. No one, especially the elderly, have as good a vision as you. Ever tested your awesome-o cool as fawk tails on a bright and sunny day? It takes away the reaction time of the person behind you. A lot of stupid rednecks and ricers smoke their tails around here. When I'm behind them I have to be extra alert b/c the dumbass decided to tint his tails, so when he does brake, it's sometimes difficult to decide if he's actually braking or not. And when I do lose that second of reaction time, I have to brake harder.

Grandma Sally or Suzy cellphone won't be as forgiving. And when you do get rear ended, it won't be guaranteed as their fault since you made your tail lights...darker...a safety feature that was made to alert people behind you know you're slowing down.

/rant

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I personaly havn't encountered the situation w/ super dark taillights in front of me, but it makes sense to me now.

I remember there was one time I freaked out once, when a car in front of me was pulling on the break kind of hard. His / her taillights weren't even lighting up. Not even the 3rd break light. I'd imagine having taillights tinted heavily dark can cause the same thing, and it can increase the risk of being rear-ended. Thanks for pointing it out. And if I'm not mistaken, ppl can get pulled over if their taillights are too dark.

Emphasis

Reaction score
It seems every advice has been said. But there is one thing...

I know there are some geniuses here who think it was a good idea to smoke and tint their tail lights. I don't care how much you think how bright your brake lights still are. You're just asking to be rear ended. No one, especially the elderly, have as good a vision as you. Ever tested your awesome-o cool as fawk tails on a bright and sunny day? It takes away the reaction time of the person behind you. A lot of stupid rednecks and ricers smoke their tails around here. When I'm behind them I have to be extra alert b/c the dumbass decided to tint his tails, so when he does brake, it's sometimes difficult to decide if he's actually braking or not. And when I do lose that second of reaction time, I have to brake harder.

Grandma Sally or Suzy cellphone won't be as forgiving. And when you do get rear ended, it won't be guaranteed as their fault since you made your tail lights...darker...a safety feature that was made to alert people behind you know you're slowing down.

/rant

To add to this discussion (unpredictable vehicle movement); everyone please do yourself and everyone a favor and remember to use signals.

I'd be hard pressed to remember the amount of times a vehicle in front of me unexpectedly slowed down without signals because they wanted to make a turn. This all ties into leave ample space in front of you and the vehicle you are behind.

Back