black house illegal?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You painted a part of the headlight that actually reflects light. If someone were to see your car from the side and your blinker were on they would not be able to see it at all. This is why I left my blinker chrome when I redid my lights the second time.

This.

Look at a side photo of a car with the reflector painted black and compare it with a car that has the stock chrome. Huge difference in terms of output an visibility from the side of the car.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
I don't even remember the last time I needed to see a blinker blinking from a side perspective of a car to know what in fact they were going to be doing soon.

I'm either behind someone, in front of someone, or driving on the other side of the road so I'm looking at the front of their car.

So those are all situations I can see something blinking somewhere.

If they're waiting to turn somewhere and I'm coming down the road and I'm looking at the side of their car, I can surmise that the reason they're just sitting there is because they're in the left/right hand turn lane.

It all comes down to knowing what people are going to do without the aid of turn signals really, because most people don't give a **** and won't use them anyway so what does it matter.

I don't know, maybe what I'm really saying is that I'm clearly smarter than most people on the road so I figure these things out. Not blame a small piece of plastic as to why they crashed into me. Cry me a river, pay more attention next time. There's a car there, you don't need to know it's intentions based on a blinking light.

I mean let's be honest, this only applies to driving during daylight. At night time you can see the blinker just fine on blackhoused lights.

meximan16

Reaction score
almightyfargoth, i agree with you. and i think it's a bullshiit reason not to pass me. i have led turn signals, and you can see them more with the black contrast then the chrome..... even from the side. i just ended up borrowing some stock lights from a friend, and getting it passed i was in a hurry that day because i worked at 12:30 and it was the last day before my plates expired.

hondachik

Reaction score
Nope. Maybe the cop was just being an a$$hole. I know on my Civic almost everything was illegal. Exhaust was too loud, head & tail lights were black..and never had a prob. Then again, we don't have inspections here.

With this Accord I got pulled over for my 5% tint and got a $145 ticket, but haven't been bothered since, and wasn't required to take it off. My hid's are technically illegal, and so are my blue turn signals. Depends on the cop because none, and I mean none have said anything to me about my stuff. Which my blue led turn signals you really can't see during the day, but at night they are bright and I've had on my signal as cops have passed.

Depends on the cop, and depends on what the department is pushing for. But again, I'm pretty sure if we did have inspections here, all that crap on my car would be gone!!

But I'm also right next door to a military base, so cops locally aren't as harsh because they know a lot of people aren't from this area/or know the rules. Plus me having a Ft. Benning DOD decal helps.

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
no, modding a light is illegal.

its like saying...in a state with a "no front window tint" law...that youre going to sit there and argue with the cop that "50% really isn't that dark!"

he'll have your fix it ready in 5 minutes :lawl:

so people who fail you are asses but the ones who pass you are cool? the double standard is clear :lawl:

we're not talking the spirit of the law (in regards to doing the same job but "looking better" like blackhousings or "performing better" like an OEM HID retrofit)...the letter of the law says its illegal.

i dont care, however, about the letter of the law :lawl: my headlights are all black, my tail lights are tinted, and my front windows are too dark. cops have had almost 5 years to pull me over for any of it, and i've been to/lived in/went to school in places where cops are straight dicks.

so if you were the one to determine if the car passes or fails and you see that the turn signal is painted black but light still passes through, although a minor difference, you would fail him? i mean hey the law is the law and if it's illegal then it's illegal. but sometimes there are things that are just not horrible enough to make a big deal out of which the guy kind of did. telling him to change his headlights.

IF it were me...i would pass him and tell him next time i won't do that anymore and if you don't like it there are hundreds of places around here that want your business.

didn't you always hate the teacher that was 100% anal with your class?

you're in class and of course you're not supposed to talk but when there's minimal chatter and the teachers grading papers, a little chit chat doesn't hurt. that guy was the teacher that would say "you guys make too much noise, pop quiz".

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
guys, you are missing the point

illegal = illegal

everyone speeds and we all know it, cops know it but if we get pulled over for going 5 over, we have no right to argue saying that everyone else is speeding or i always do it. i have gotten a ticket for failure to signal when changing lanes, but you didn't see me saying how much of a dick the cop was, i broke the law

just go to a different shop and move on with life

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
guys, you are missing the point

illegal = illegal

everyone speeds and we all know it, cops know it but if we get pulled over for going 5 over, we have no right to argue saying that everyone else is speeding or i always do it. i have gotten a ticket for failure to signal when changing lanes, but you didn't see me saying how much of a dick the cop was, i broke the law

just go to a different shop and move on with life

yea, not saying he's like a complete *** but if you failed for something like that you wouldn't be happy with the guy. but yea just go to another shop.:thumbsup:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
so if you were the one to determine if the car passes or fails and you see that the turn signal is painted black but light still passes through, although a minor difference, you would fail him? i mean hey the law is the law and if it's illegal then it's illegal. but sometimes there are things that are just not horrible enough to make a big deal out of which the guy kind of did. telling him to change his headlights.

IF it were me...i would pass him and tell him next time i won't do that anymore and if you don't like it there are hundreds of places around here that want your business.

didn't you always hate the teacher that was 100% anal with your class?

you're in class and of course you're not supposed to talk but when there's minimal chatter and the teachers grading papers, a little chit chat doesn't hurt. that guy was the teacher that would say "you guys make too much noise, pop quiz".
deflecting the argument to ask what i'd do doesn't matter in this situation. it also matters a LOT more when your job is on the line, whether or not you think something looks cool enough to call it legal...

in the same vein, but inversely, i have a BA in secondary education, with my other major being of the K-12 licensure type. if you really want to talk education techniques, let me know...

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
bringing your education into a conversation that has nothing to do with this is smart.

i was merely bringing up the similarities of how anal he was. don't tell me you got some BA in being anal too.

class dismissed due to the fact that this is going no where.
we all have our opinions on things, and there's no point in arguing over opinions. yes it's a fact that it's illegal but our opinions on what he could've/would've/should've done is what im talking about. so let's shake on it and get drunk :beer: although i don't like the taste of beer.

Back