So this thing flew off on the highway (heat shield? Pic attached)

Andrew88

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your insight guys. Truly. You saved me a lot of worry. I need the car for work tonight and I didn't know what to do. I don't have a mechanic in my city that I trust (new in town), so I was in a weird situation.

I feel comfortable knowing that there is another heat shield. However, the guy who looked at my car (not an expert) said that I was OK to drive home but that was all; he reiterated that, similarly to the opinion of a few of you, "it was there for a reason" and that I could catch on fire amidst some leaves, potentially.

Obviously, this scares the sh** out of me.

I know it's been said, I just want to clarify so as to not die in a ball of flames; this thing isn't what's standing between a hot cat catching ablaze and relative safety, right?

Thanks again.

As for clamping it back on myself, I don't have anything to raise my vehicle. And frankly, I know it's a very easy task, but I really, truly know nothing about cars and don't trust myself to do even the smallest of procedures. Particularly procedures that involve potential safety issues. Thank you for the simplistic explanation nonetheless.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Andrew, keep in mind the temps that can be reached beneath your vehicle, manifold, exhaust, cat.

Those things reach pretty high temps, the heat shield is not going to prevent all of those things from a potential fire if you park in a pile of dry leaves.

That shouldn't be something you should do in the first place, so other than that, you have no worries.

Andrew88

Reaction score
Andrew, keep in mind the temps that can be reached beneath your vehicle, manifold, exhaust, cat.

Those things reach pretty high temps, the heat shield is not going to prevent all of those things from a potential fire if you park in a pile of dry leaves.

That shouldn't be something you should do in the first place, so other than that, you have no worries.

Thank you a bunch. Same to all of you.

You did your good deed for the day and it's not even noon. Kudos.

slowrider87

Reaction score
No need to weld it. Just get two clamps and tension it back in place. Done.

finally, someone said something inteligent. seriously this is how mine is held on. its perfectly understandable if you don't have a mechanic you trust. you should have at least the Stock jack in your trunk. if you live in northern virginia then i'll do it for you. take 5 mins, otherwise swing by autozone get two of the biggest hose clamps you can find, get the scissor jack out of your trunk (if its not there then just stop reading now) lift a side of your car (put something under the frame like a wheel or cinder block for saftey). put the two clamps together and wrap your new longer clamp around the shield, tighten it up, put the car back down and fuhgetaboutit.

Back