HELP! Car dies while driving!

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope that I don't get in trouble for this, as it is not for my 6th gen, but it is for my 2009 Toyota Matrix 2.4L. I am posting it here as there isn't as much activity on matrixowners.com, and I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

I am experiencing a crazy problem. Today, nothing was out of the norm. The Matrix wasn't ran all day as I used the Accord, so I decided to go spray it down since it is mild out. So I did that, went and fueled up, checked the oil, everything was good. Went to a buddy's house to work on school work, and after 2 hours, the Matrix was dead. Would start. Turned over for literally 1/3 of a second and then wouldn't do ANYTHING. The oil light and engine light, as well as interior lights were all lit until I pushed on the brakes, where all the lights inside would shut off. And after pushing the brakes a few times, not even the brake lights would turn on. The gauges wouldn't even light up like they always do.

So I jumped it with my buddy's 6, barely wanted to start but did. While I was driving home, I turned on my high beams, which stalled the car WHILE DRIVING 60km/h but since it is standard and in gear it started again. It did that twice in a row (stalled twice and re-started when I turned on the high beams once) and will continue to do this when I turn on the high beams. This shuts off the gauges, lights, radio, EVERYTHING. Car shuts off and re-starts it-self.

So now thats weird enough, turning around in my driveway, which is snow packed, the traction control went on and stalled the car. Went to start it, same scenario as before. Completely dead.

So I though hmm maybe the battery is dead and not holding a charge, and the car was running on the alternator charging the battery. Even when I use my turn signals and window switches the lights dim a lot and the car shutters. So far I know for sure the high beams and traction control will kill the car. But I checked the "window" in the battery, and it is bright green, which indicates a charged battery.

Prior to this, nothing has been out of the normal. The car has been running great. Never struggles to start or anything even when the weather was -32C. Its just weird that when it dies, it doesn't even try to turn over, just nothing. I bump-started it a few times (live on a steep driveway), but I need to get this fixed asap.

Can anybody please give me an idea of wth is going on??? My car is out of warranty and only has power train warranty now. I have almost 70,000kms on it. I am a college student and can't afford crap like this. Its frustrating going to my 13 year old Accord with 260,000kms for the reliable car.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
Well I just checked the battery with a volt ohm meter. I set it to DCV 20, touched the negative to negative and positive to positive, and got a reading of about 12.xx. Still, the locks don't work, lights wont flash, nothing.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Check that the terminals arent loose and also check ur battery voltage while running, should be atleast 14volts.

Accord_4_life

Reaction score
Check that the terminals arent loose and also check ur battery voltage while running, should be atleast 14volts.

Thanks, Ill check the voltage while running today after class. Ill just jump it with the Accord lol. The terminals are nice and tight, made sure I checked that last night.

Back