Check engine comes on in cold weather

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I came across this site while browsing for info on ebay turbo kits for my 2000 Accord (I get it, they're often crap). Looks like a great site!

Anyways, the price of a good turbo kit aside, my issue right now is a check engine light that comes on whenever the weather is very cold. It comes on whenever the temperature outside is -20 C (-4 F) or so. If it's only -5 or -10 C (14 to 23 F), the light will turn off after about 20 minutes of driving.

I had the CEL come on during the summer when my friend and I installed OBX headers and had to extend the wiring to the O2 sensor, but that was due to a poor soldering job on my part. The CEL went off after I had someone redo the wiring to make it non-ghetto. Needless to say, I was bummed when the cold weather brought the CEL back.

Any advice for dealing with this light? I also am not sure how to read the CEL code type, but I was going to give my owner's a manual a look later and see if I could figure it out.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks. I will give Part Source a call and see if they have an OBDII reader available. Can they still read the code that was being thrown if the weather warms up and the light goes off? Is it stored in the computer's memory?

jwong512

Reaction score
It should be stored in the computer's memory. Just bring it to the store and get it read asap.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Part Source won't read my CEL code, but they *will* sell me an OBDII reader for a minimum of $150... We don't have Auto Zone up here. :(

I'll see if I can find someone with an OBDII reader on our local car forums.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys!

Drift

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Part Source won't read my CEL code, but they *will* sell me an OBDII reader for a minimum of $150... We don't have Auto Zone up here. :(

I'll see if I can find someone with an OBDII reader on our local car forums.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys!

Just use the paper clip trick in the thread that Snoobly put up for you.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Its probably due to your modification to the o2 harness. I really wouldnt worry much or just get a new o2 sensor and find a way to make it work.

Back