Major clutch problems

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Every now and then my clutch wouldn't fully engage when I first start the car but everything would be fine by the time I got to the end of the driveway but tonight it didn't go away. Instead it progressively got worse and until the clutch did nothing at all. So I stopped and waited about 15 minutes and it was much better but got progressively worse again. Thankfully my house was on the way to where I was going so I could jump in my old automatic 6GA to continue my journey. I've checked the clutch fluid (if that's even what it's called) and it's at max and this is the first car with a manual that I've had to work on so I'm pretty much stupid when it comes to things other than driving them.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
Is your slave external or internal? have someone pump your pedal and see if your clutch fork moves. If not could be hydraulic. If you put your car in first and start it with the pedal in does it jump/move?

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Is your slave external or internal? have someone pump your pedal and see if your clutch fork moves. If not could be hydraulic. If you put your car in first and start it with the pedal in does it jump/move?

I'll Have to check on that but yes it will start driving around with the clutch fully pressed.

james'99

Reaction score
I'll Have to check on that but yes it will start driving around with the clutch fully pressed.

Sounds like air is leaking into the clutch hydraulics somewhere. Start by bleeding, but you may be in the market for new clutch hydraulics. Get OEM only! Everything else has a significantly shorter lifespan.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Sounds like air is leaking into the clutch hydraulics somewhere. Start by bleeding, but you may be in the market for new clutch hydraulics. Get OEM only! Everything else has a significantly shorter lifespan.

What all does the hydraulics include I know there's a master and slave cylinder but is there anything else? Sorry for the very noobish questions, but I really don't have the slightest idea how the hydraulics work

604ACCORD

Reaction score
From the master cylinder one line goes up to the fluid reservoir then another line (which should resemble a brake line) runs across the firewall. It changes into a rubber line and jumps to the transmission, runs along the trans to the slave cylinder. I don't have a 5spd Accord I could be a bit off but that's the basics.

My Bros 01 Ram had it his master/slave fail with no leaks. We don't really know which one just ended up changing them both.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Thanks I also picked up a service manual for it and a bottle of dot 3 brake fluid. I'll try flushing out and bleeding the system as soon as I find a friend who is available to help. The current fluid is very dark and if I remember right it should be either light or clear.

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
We flushed and bled the system, but the problem is still there and after looking into the problem more I realized that it's not that it won't fully engage, it won't fully disengage. My mechanic said I can bring it down on Wednesday and he will look at it and see if he thinks it's the clutch or one of the cylinders.

Back