My DIY steering swap=epic fail! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
All has failed. That thing is seized on there. How do I know? When im stripping bolts out of their holes and pressing in metal, it's officially stuck.

Refer to this pic. The two bolts on the side are getting pulled out of their attachment points and the driving bolt is pressing into my 14mm steering holder hole.

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/steering_wheel/wheel_puller_1.jpg

Last resort......replace the whole steering column! $350!

I think I need to take off my wheel to do that though.

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
I don't get it. If the bolts holding the steering wheel on are off, just fuking bang the hell out of it. LOL. There's NO WAY it's just seized on there, metal to metal. With no bolts. It just doesn't make sense. :thinking:

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
There's only one bolt on there and its the center one. I dont get it either. It's really hard to get leverage to really bang the mess out of it.

My only reasoning would be that the teeth that the wheel slides onto are somehow crossed but I dont see how that could have happened.

Im yanking, pulling, and cursing at the same time. It's stuck.

If it was going to come off really, I dont think the bolts would strip out and the center bolt hole get pressed in from the pressure im applying. Im assuming it would come out before all that happens.

Millz

Reaction score
holy **** what is it with hondas and having problems with bolts...

couple years ago i was just helping out my friend swap out his steering wheel on his 00 sedan, SAME ****ing thing happened, we were both screaming swearing tugging etc it came to the point when he wanted to get a sledge and hit it instead of with a rubber mallet, thank god that didnt happen

anyways, ****ty thing happened and a pickup ploughed into his car while it was on the drive-way and it was a write off a couple days later, so we never really resolved the issue... hope you have better luck bro

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
so...you tried to remove ur steering wheel....without taking off the big nut that holds it on?

just wanna straighten that out before i give any crazy advice

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
No.

The "big nut" is the 14mm bolt that I am referring to. It is out and the drive bolt is to use that 14mm bolt hole to push off of. Instead of pushing off, its pressing it in. If all was good, the wheel should have popped off before it starts to press in. Refer to pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back