Maintenance Question--- Spark plugs

datechboss101

Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid, but according to OM and FSM, they recommend to change the spark plugs every 30k miles. However, I know that the NGK Irinium spark plugs can last up to 100k miles (if I am correct). So what the heck I should follow for the spark plugs?

For my usual maintenance, I usually change my oil every 6 months (regardless of mileage; more recently my oil change mileage is around 5k miles), tire rotation the day after I do the oil change; I top off the wiper fluids when the fluid level decreases a bit and refill the coolant overflow tank when fluid goes below the min line.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
there is no use for iridium plugs in the f23.. just get copper ones and change them out based on the schedule

datechboss101

Reaction score
there is no use for iridium plugs in the f23.. just get copper ones and change them out based on the schedule

Last June, I replaced the Bosch Platinum plugs that were in my f23 and the iridium were recommended from people on the forum that I shall not speak of... :lock:

Any benefits if I had the iridium plugs in the f23 block or is it throwing money away like putting 93 into a car that only needs 87?

i always just bought oem plugs :shrug:

How did the oem plugs performed when you had your CG?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Last June, I replaced the Bosch Platinum plugs that were in my f23 and the iridium were recommended from people on the forum that I shall not speak of... :lock:

Any benefits if I had the iridium plugs in the f23 block or is it throwing money away like putting 93 into a car that only needs 87?

How did the oem plugs performed when you had your CG?

I don't know. I put NGK iridium plugs in both of my high mileage F23's and I don't have any complaints. One set has over 12K+ miles on it already.
The old stock plugs were worn in both engines and were due. Buying the plugs thru RA, the price for the NGK iridium plugs was equal to what the Zone was asking for stock NGK plugs. My old 97 S-10 had iridium plugs in it from the factory, and I replaced them at 150K. They were used up by then, but were still working. :)

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
In my opinon just use regular oem plugs. Ive yet see any benefit from using iridium plugs in a motor that does not call for it, besides costing you more money. You wont make any more power, any mpg benefit varys based on your driving and how throttle happy you are. I think alot of claims are from people trying to justify to themselves how much it cost them, not actual facts. Its like people using synthetic oil and saying their mpg increased (did that for year and did not see greater than maybe a 1 mpg increase) save your money. This is just my opinion after seeing numerous customers and myself go through this same decision, so take it with a grain of salt.

datechboss101

Reaction score
In my opinon just use regular oem plugs. Ive yet see any benefit from using iridium plugs in a motor that does not call for it, besides costing you more money. You wont make any more power, any mpg benefit varys based on your driving and how throttle happy you are. I think alot of claims are from people trying to justify to themselves how much it cost them, not actual facts. Its like people using synthetic oil and saying their mpg increased (did that for year and did not see greater than maybe a 1 mpg increase) save your money. This is just my opinion after seeing numerous customers and myself go through this same decision, so take it with a grain of salt.

True, but the price I saved was tremendous considering dealer was asking roughly $200 for the job. Also, when should I change the spark plug wires (not stated in the FSM and OM at all)? I have no clue nor idea when those were also changed.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Cant beat saving money either plug wont do any harm so rock what you got. As far as plug wires this is case by case ive seen some cars still with factory wires (im talking about from 93-98ish) they have no issues whats so ever. Me i wont risk especially since wires are not that expensive as they use to be. I do mine every other plug change so at least every 60k. If u dont know when it was done inspect each wire for cracks or signs of carbon on the boot and inside it. If none found you should be okay but like i said its cheap preventive maintenance so not bad idea to replace.

datechboss101

Reaction score
Cant beat saving money either plug wont do any harm so rock what you got. As far as plug wires this is case by case ive seen some cars still with factory wires (im talking about from 93-98ish) they have no issues whats so ever. Me i wont risk especially since wires are not that expensive as they use to be. I do mine every other plug change so at least every 60k. If u dont know when it was done inspect each wire for cracks or signs of carbon on the boot and inside it. If none found you should be okay but like i said its cheap preventive maintenance so not bad idea to replace.

I'll give a recheck soon, as I haven't had time lately due to studies... Probably, I might take some time off tomorrow morning or this weekend to give a thorough check on the wires and other items, as I have to drop Lucky off at the mech when I don't have school for some items.

Back