My suspension setup bad, bad match or it's not for me?

l34merik

Reaction score
Hey guys, my suspension setup right now is Ground Control Sleeves, Tokico illuminas, TL rsb, and Moog endlinks. I've had it for about 3 years and 20k miles.

1st year when I was living in a nice area, really happy with them and had the GC 0 finger gap + Tokico at 4 -5 hardest setting.

2-3rd year living on my own in not so nice areas: slammed and stiff car was taking the fun out of driving my car so I raised it back up and adjusted the settings to softest setting.

Right now I'm hating my setup. It's a little rough + uncomfortably bouncy over small bumps. Handles much worst than at slammed / lower settings but it's at least not longer super stiff when driving in bumpy areas.

I've been able to drive different friend's cars and it really makes me realize how much I hate my setup right now.
1. stock 2008 corvette - best suspension I've tested. Low and firm yet really comfortable. Anything comparable for our cars?
2. 2006 TL with Tein basic - firm yet comfy. Ran over railroad tracks without really feeling anything. Not sure if because its an Acura or the Teins.
3. stock accord - really high but the ride was comfy. I wouldn't mind something lower but soft like stock.

I really don't know but there's 3 possibilities:

1. Are my Tokico's bad? There's not oil or anything leaking but they're on the softest setting and yet the ride still feels stiff and bouncy.

2. I read that it might happen if the springs are too hard for the shocks. The springs are the stock Ground Control springs. Maybe that's the problem and I can get Eibach / H&R springs to have a more comfortable ride?

3. This setup isn't for me, it can never be as comfortable / soft as stock. If that's the case, I guess I should get new coilovers. I was looking at getting F&F but another member complained how uncomfortable they are. Leaning towards Tein's if they really feel like stock but lower.

Thanks for reading my long post.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
My best guess would be you've grown out of it so the setup is no longer for you.

Switching to Tein coilovers would probably solve it.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Could just be a matter of not enjoying the stiffer ride anymore.

Teins would probably be a more ideal setup for you now. They are a much softer ride than most other full coilover setups, so you should look in to that. Basics or Super Streets, depending on how much flexibility you want with the coilovers.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Try calling Tokico and ask them what the max spring rate is that the Illuminas can handle. I doubt the stock rates of the Ground Controls are too high for Illuminas but I could be wrong. If I were you I'd try Koni...yellows paired with GC's are suppose to give low and firm comfort which is what you're looking for.

l34merik

Reaction score
When I brought my Ground Controls, I had the option to pick stock / Tokico Illuminas or Koni yellow version of the ground controls. I picked the Tokico version so they should be a good match but maybe I'll call Tokico before I buy anything new and see what they say.

I thought the difference between my Tokicos and Koni Yellows were that they Konis had an additional height adjustment and even though they're both adjustable, the yellows were meant to be a little stiffer than my Tokicos?

Regarding deciding if I should get the Tein Basic or SS. I would like to have adjust-ability but I'm worried the SS on the soft settings will be harsh like my ride right now. Anyone tried the SS on softest settings? What level soft or mid would the SS ride like the basic/stock?

Last thing, beside looking for oil, how would I know my shocks are blown / broken?

Thanks guys

001Stunna

Reaction score
When I brought my Ground Controls, I had the option to pick stock / Tokico Illuminas or Koni yellow version of the ground controls. I picked the Tokico version so they should be a good match but maybe I'll call Tokico before I buy anything new and see what they say.

I thought the difference between my Tokicos and Koni Yellows were that they Konis had an additional height adjustment and even though they're both adjustable, the yellows were meant to be a little stiffer than my Tokicos?

Regarding deciding if I should get the Tein Basic or SS. I would like to have adjust-ability but I'm worried the SS on the soft settings will be harsh like my ride right now. Anyone tried the SS on softest settings? What level soft or mid would the SS ride like the basic/stock?

Last thing, beside looking for oil, how would I know my shocks are blown / broken?

Thanks guys

If going for teins get the street basis or street advance, they offer a much bigger range in means of dampening. Skip the basic and ss as they were the older model which has now been somewhat revamped into basis/sa.

Only downside for the teins is they are not meant to slam you car. Abiding by the tein specs the lowest they'll take you is a pinky finger gap. If you disregard the tein specs you can put the tires tread flush with the fenders...but you are losing shock travel.

I have the SS and am more then happy with them. After having driven in a car that had the SA though I wish they were available when I bought mine as i would have gotten them instead.

Last edited:

l34merik

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the advice guys. I'm probably going to save up and get Tein Street Basis or Street Advance. Looked around and almost everyone who has them says they're comfortable like stock.

Is there anything I'm going to need to reuse besides the top hat when buying Teins?

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Ok thanks for all the advice guys. I'm probably going to save up and get Tein Street Basis or Street Advance. Looked around and almost everyone who has them says they're comfortable like stock.

Is there anything I'm going to need to reuse besides the top hat when buying Teins?

My Super Street's are nice, but you cant get extremely low on them. But add a lip kit, and you'll be fine

Back