V6 Big 3/Ground Upgrade

Got02Accord

Reaction score
Well when your in college with your car and your bored at 2 am with your credit card.. You buy stuff. After going back and forth the past year about doing the Big 3 i finally said screw it I am just gonna do it. I went back to the searchin bar thing and all i found really was for the 4cylinder and lightly touched on the V6. But I found alot of question about the V6 and everyone said go search. Go search. GO SEARCH. Well I searched and found not what I wanted to know. SO... Here is my DIY on Ground Wire Upgrades. This is my first DIY in a long time on forums so here we go!

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR CAR FROM THIS DIY. *YOU WILL NEED RADIO CODE*

This is how I did mine. I went batt-body, Batt-tranny, Tranny-Engine, Engine-Body. Body-engine. I used a splitter from Batt-tranny to save on terminals so buy what I list and yours will look just like mine. If you don't wanna do what I did and do only battery to body and battery to tranny then only buy the things listed in RED

First. Get yer sterf.

Battery Block-http://goo.gl/gMLbOm
Reducer-http://goo.gl/WrVHFI
Terminals-http://goo.gl/ngkPBN
Splitter-http://goo.gl/DPZr8g
More Terminals-http://goo.gl/Ycm8iI

As far as wire I went with KnuKonceptz. Your gonna need about 9ft if you do it my way. 6ft if you only wanna do the 2 grounds.

Wire-http://goo.gl/CXChW5

I Priced everything out to be the best pricing for the way I did it. Again if you only wanna do the 2 Ground upgrades buy the things in red but if you wanna do it like mine, Buy it all.

First. Make 2 cables have terminals at both ends. These will be 17" long and 28" long

2013-10-15 20.40.35 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

Next cut wire, 14", 24", and 16" I apologise but i didnt get pics of making the terminal connections and everything but this is what you need to have after cutting the wire and follow the pic as to adding the hardware connections

2013-10-17 22.15.30 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

Now. ONTO THE CAH.
Take off your old battery terminal, remove the bolt holding the cable going to the body and remove the bolt holding the other cable to the tranny. The green holder the wire goes through can be slid off the metal bracket holding it. Take the wire out of the green holder and while you still have the new harness out of the car put the green holder around the longer wire that is gonna go from the battery to the tranny. You should now be holding a harness that was causing some dimmin shiz to happen.

2013-10-18 13.25.09 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

Install your new battery block and Connect the shorter cable to the body where you removed your old one, Let the longer one go down towards the tranny.

2013-10-19 13.53.17 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

Here you can see where I send the cable through the green holder

2013-10-19 13.51.32 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

This is showing the connection of the splitter on the tranny. Same bolt hole that you removed the old harness connection from. Hard to see but you can get a better idea off looking at the pic above and seeing how the cable go through the green holder and heads towards where the old connection was.

2013-10-19 13.52.15 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

Now if your only doing the 2 ground upgrade then your done! (use a terminal end on the cable from the battery in place of the splitter) But if your doing my style then the other cable coming out of the splitter connect that to where the EGR mounds to the block. Remove the bolt that is holding the EGR. *ONLY REMOVE THE ONE BOLT NOT BOTH* Now you will need a longer bolt. About .5" longer I do not know the thread pitch or anything like that I apologise it was a bolt i had laying around from a old job I did.

2013-10-19 13.52.22 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr You can just use another splitter but I chose this way because I can move the grounds to another location if i decided.

Now the reason you need a longer bolt is because 2 terminals will be on this ground. The one from the tranny and one going from the block to body. You can see the 2 terminals in the picture above. Here is the 23" coming into play!
I highlighted the cable in red. Notice the gold terminals on the free cables and the silver terminals are on the wires that are apart of the main harness.

2013-10-19 13.52.57 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

Here is where it connects to the body.

2013-10-19 13.52.46 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

And the final connection is on the other side of the engine. This is going from Body to engine. There is a screw hole right on the bracket for the power steering pump. Almost any 10mm bolt from a honda should fit the thread. on the other end that goes to the body. Take the bolt out of the little bracket and get a bolt thats a little bit longer and bolt on the other end of the cable.
2013-10-19 13.53.04 by Keepinitdirty, on Flickr

And you should be all done! Start up the car and make sure it all works. And enjoy Dim free lights now!

I hope it is a easy to follow tutorial and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I can get more pictures if needed!

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Great job man, rep added!

For some reason I did the big 3 on my 4 cylinder and my lights still dim with only 500W RMS amp for my subs :( Only the clock bulb though

Got02Accord

Reaction score

For some reason I did the big 3 on my 4 cylinder and my lights still dim with only 500W RMS amp for my subs :( Only the clock bulb though

Thanks man!
At least your clock bulb works! Id try adding another ground from Engine to body. Make sure you have good connections and try sanding down where your connections are!

agginline86

Reaction score

I'm sure it's inevitable that you'll get some voltage dip no matter what. the electrical systems on our car are pretty weak from my understanding

Thanks man!
At least your clock bulb works! Id try adding another ground from Engine to body. Make sure you have good connections and try sanding down where your connections are!

Great write up!

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Nice to see quality work done with the wires.

Very thorough write up, and pics are always helpful.

Got02Accord

Reaction score
awesome write up, gave you rep

Nice to see quality work done with the wires.

Very thorough write up, and pics are always helpful.

Nice work .. Very clean .. Now do just do an upgraded one for the 4cyl : )

I'm sure it's inevitable that you'll get some voltage dip no matter what. the electrical systems on our car are pretty weak from my understanding

Great write up!

Thanks guys! :big_banana_Dance:

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Nice writeup! +rep
Was gonna tackle this last year using the 4cyl diy but blew off my Accord. Was gonna do it next week anyways and then I found this and it should help a lot.

spiggons420

Reaction score
Great write up. It helped me a lot to complete my ground upgrade today. One thing I wanted to do tho was run a line from the battery to the alternator and to bypass the fusebox. Apparently you have to run the wire all the way from the battery to the fusebox and then to the alternator.

Does anyone have any input on upgrading the positive to alternator?

Back