Wierd noises

SOCalCG5

Reaction score
Ok so today while driving to school, i suddenly hear a wierd rattling sound coming from the exhaust. I think it may be the Catalytic converter because it sounds like its banging in the inside. what do you guys think and also i had parked my car today and just revved the car to figure what the noise was, and the car just shut off on me and it had shook after i let go of the gas. Engine mounts?

kashmeister

Reaction score
Could be your cat. The noise might be unrelated as the cat has a heat shield that tends to vibrate and make noise.

SOCalCG5

Reaction score
what about the reason why my car shut off and and vibrated before it did?

kashmeister

Reaction score
I your cat insides are loose, they give a bad reading to the O2 sensor and that might incorrectly adjust your a/f ratio.

There was a thread about a guy with a similar problem to yours. He took off the cat and put on straight pipe with a defouler and all his problems were gone.

SOCalCG5

Reaction score
hmm cause i was told that it could be the engine or trans mount. Like when it is in parked and i revved it, rpm guage went all the down as i let go and went to 0 or 1 then went back up where its idles at

nsjames

Reaction score
ig the cat is chunked up inside the pieces will move around in the pipe and block the flow of exhaust at high RPMs, then your motor doesn't work so well.

Back