Looks like someone swapped out my ECU.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Hey all. I just got a 99 accord EX and when i was working on it today I noticed what appeared to be a conversion harness going to my ECU.

I ripped it out later in the evening and found that my car was at some point converted to OBD I and is running off of a p28 (Presumably chipped). The engine seems totally stock with the exception of an ebay intake and over sized exhaust so I was utterly baffled to find this. The conversion harness was from xenocron tuning and I'm going to assume that the chiped ECU came from them as well.

I was just curious if there is anything I need to know about this conversion or might want to look out for. And here i thought I had actually managed to pic up an unmolested Honda. I assume if I wanted to know more about the ECU map i'd probably have to have a tuner read the chip?

My engine is the F23A4 that, at least from the outside, seems totally stock. Is the ECU conversion as pointless as I think it is? I was thinking about swapping it back to the stock ECU if I could pick one up.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well.. At least it was molested using the best possible components, seems like the previous owner knew at least a little bit of what they were doing. Please do more research on OBD2 to OBD1 conversions and you'll get all your answers, and you can verify and cross-match the info with your current setup. Welcome to the site, you should make an intro thread! There's tons of info here on that conversion, in fact I have done it myself and I am using a Xenocron conversion harness with their chipped P28 as well! Just search brah.

9450erick

Reaction score
im pretty sure you have to use obd1 injectors and a resistor box. see if any of the injectors wiring has been tampered with.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did some searching and looks like there's a few other things i need to look for.

I'll check out the injectors and IACV today. Only problem is I don't know what the stock stuff should look like compared to the modified stuff. The engine bay look totally stock except for the intake lol. After the wiring nightmare I had with my civic, I just wanted to get something simple and easy to work on.

I guess my main concern is that the car needs to be inspected and I'm not sure if that will be possible. Does anyone know if i'll be able to slide through the inspection process in PA? We don't have tailpipe testing or anything but if they hook up the computer are they going to run in to problems? Would they be able to figure out that my ECU has been backdated.

I was actually thinking about moving to Cali at some pont in the near future to, but fortunately if I decide to do so, it should be easy enough to revert back to stock. It's just time and $$$ money I didn't want to spend lol.

Once i get some decent pictures I'll post up an intro thread.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
I took a quick look today and my Injector wiring looks unmodified but I have read that you can run the stock injectors if you don't hook up an injector resistor box as the P28 civic's didn't user a resistor box either.

It was hard to tell, but I think I MIGHT have the IACV adapter plate on the back of my manifold.
It's hard to tell though because our IMs sit so far back.

I might have to try to find some comparison pictures to see what Intake Mani I have.

Back