Brake Advice?

ilovemycoupe

Reaction score
So my car squeaks but the squeaking goes away when I hit the brakes. Also today my e-brake light comes on when I brake. So I've concluded I need a brake job. (correct me if im wrong please) Where do you guys recommend to get it done? Are there any shops you would trust or is the dealer the only way to go? Also how much do you think it's going to be? Thank you!

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Check your brake fluid level first, and make sure the plunger isn't stuck inside the reservoir. As for the squeaking, check your pads, and the thickness of the rotor. I would do this yourself, a brake job is one of the easiest maintenance tasks you can do. Or have a friend help you. You'll save money and learn something at the same time.

Last edited:

ActNow

Reaction score
Check your brake fluid level first, and make sure the plunger isn't stuck inside the reservoir. As for the squeaking, check your pads, and the thickness of the rotor. I would do this yourself, a brake job is one of the easiest maintenance tasks you can do. Or have a friend help you. You'll save money and learn something at the same time.

This. You will thank yourself and us later. Experience FTW!

001Stunna

Reaction score
As others have said just check your fluid first, inspect brakes for wear, if deemed necessary order new pads/rotors or shoes/drums from rockauto.com and do it yourself.
I've never done pads/rotors myself but have done my drums and shoes and it's honestly quite easy.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
you may Just have some tiny gravel in between your brake pad and rotor however sounds like your cars brake system is already warning you. You can do the job yourself, I've done it numerous times. I'd suggest brembo blanks or powerslot rotors and pair them with a Wagner or hawk ceramic pads. You'll definitely tell a increase in braking performance without having to spend a ton of money on OEM brakes​

Another issue to check for is sometimes under harder braking / extreme wet conditions you can actually warp your brakes. Check for extreme grooving on your pads and rotors and check for wavy pads. Also check your caliper piston compression because there could be a rock(s) stuck causing a squeeling/ grinding noise.

Switch brakes is as easy as 3 or 4 bolts, remove old pads, grease install new pads, rebolt and bleed

cl206

Reaction score
If you can jack a corner up and take a wheel off to get a nice look at the rotors and pads, you can definitely do this urself.
I just did my 2000 V6 coupe 3 weeks ago and it is all good! Ur 2001 V6 can't be that much different. I got centric premium rotors and thermoquiet pads for all four for like 185 after rebates.

Obviously read up on this to get an idea before starting. There were some obstacles like when I couldn't get the screws off and had to dremel/drill them out.

most of the steps are still fresh in my head if you need help....

ActNow

Reaction score
There is also youtube videos and also you could purchase a haynes manual from your local parts store.

Back