wiring troubles...help?

jdm00accord

Reaction score
this might be kinda noobish but im having some trouble with this wiring.

i have foglights and led footwell lights running to the same switch (switch 1). when the switch is up fogs are on and leds are off, when switch 1 is down fogs are off and leds are on. to make everything go off i put a switch in the middle of the load wire (switch 2) to shut off power to both. while wiring i accidentally let the load touch the ground and it blew my fuse. i didnt think that was too big a deal so i replaced the fuse and when i flip the switch up my fogs are off and my leds are off, when its down my fogs are off and my leds are on. so for some reason my fogs arent working? nothing changed with the wiring though. and neither of the bulbs are blown. heres a diagram to help show how i have it wired

switch.jpg

can anyone help me get my fogs goin again?

Drift

Reaction score
Is switch 2 still getting power? is there power out of switch 2?

jdm00accord

Reaction score
im pretty sure the switches are fine. without switch two the blue lights or foglights will always be on (depending on if switch one is up or down). so i put switch 2 in there to shut off the power to the fogs and the leds. switch two still turns the leds on and off with switch one is down. but when i turn switch one up nothing happens.

finch13

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to replace the switch that controls function not power. Sounds like you fried one of the throws in the in the switch with too much current.

dynasty

Reaction score
this is what i would do.

run the power wire to a relay. the trigger wire will go to the switch. and that's for your first switch. you won't need a fuse.

for the LED, run ANOTHER wire from the battery to the fuse, then to the switch. the output of the switch goes to the LED. everything should be set by then.

make sure your grounding is directly on the chassis.

Robocody

Reaction score
I don't see the point in having the exterior fogs hooked up with the interior LED's.

I'd just run the LED footwell lights to the dome/interior light circuit. It's alrady fused, a few LED's with the proper resistors won't add enough load to damage any of the wiring, and the only time you should need the foot well lights is if your doors are open, or you need light to see, in which case the dome light being on at the same time would help.

That way you can run the fogs with the one switch you know is completely functional.

jdm00accord

Reaction score
i have them running to the same switch because i didnt feel like doing more wiring.

BUT
finch was right, i put a new switch in and everything was fine.

Drift

Reaction score
i have them running to the same switch because i didnt feel like doing more wiring.

BUT
finch was right, i put a new switch in and everything was fine.

If you replaced it with the same switch it's going to burn out again.

Here is a way to rewire it safely.

32zibnk.jpg

Or even better:

b6pwqr.jpg

PaulD

Reaction score
I was going to say, if you are running the entire power thru the switch you WILL burn it out again. Relay FTW

Back