Sluggish Engine, Car Almost Stalls When I let go of the Gas

Meant2Live

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 2001 sedan with a f23 run 65k miles with a 5spd mt(. basically stock, except for an HKS Mushroom filter. I ran the car muffler less(just unbolted the end can) for a couple of months and everything was perfectly fine. Yesterday, I got an aftermarket end can installed on the car with stock piping and from then, its just gone downhill. Muffler outlet wasn't low enough and it managed to melt my bumper a fair bit. Temporarily solved it by removing the hanger at the rear of the car( the piping between the resonator and muffler). After that went for a quick run to test whether the exhaust was still melting the bumper, it didnt. On the way back from the run, the CEL turns on, and the car starts becoming really really sluggish. I mean I'm in 1st, around 15-20mph, and then i go WOT, it takes AGES to start revving and accelerates really really slowly upto 4.5k/5k rpm and then it accelerates normally. I'm facing this problem in EVERY gear. I have absolutely NO power upto atleast 4k rpm.
Got the car back home, checked the engine oil level and it was fine. It was dark already, so I left the matter there. Today, I turned on the car, and revved it til 2k rpm, let go of the throttle, and the engine dropped to ~200rpm and when i revved it again, it took some time to reach 1000rpm , but then it revved normally. I heard a backfire when I revved it till around 2500rpm when it was cold. Drove it around the block below 10mph and I realized that from a stop, the car would stall if I didnt rev it til atleast 1500rpm and then let go of the clutch slowly(almost drag launches but at lower rpms).
Any clue on where I should start off from?
I don't have access to an OBDII scanner anywhere nearby and the Honda workshop is atleast 8miles from my place. I'd get charged 20$ even to get the error codes. Hoping that it might just be a loose connector/clogged valve.:skurred:

Thanks in advance :)

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think it'd be limp mode since he's able to go over 4k, if it goes into limp mode once it hits 4k its like hitting a brick wall. Can't go past it whatsoever.

Can you go to an autozone or something and use their code scanner to see what it is?
usually they will loan you a tool no problem or do it for you

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Whoops haha shouldn't have scanned through the post. Saw 4k and thought he was saying it stopped there

Meant2Live

Reaction score
Couldnt find the OBD2 port anywhere, spent a good 30minutes looking below the steering column and below the passenger side of the dashboard and couldn't find it anywhere. So I guess I'll be having to take it to Honda after all, but here's a video of what happens. Worth a shot before taking it to honda,I guess.

http://videobam.com/widget/AoTFi

Unable to embed it, sorry.

At around 11 seconds, I switch on the AC, and its on WOT. Around 30seconds, the rumbling sound was with constant throttle. it occurs only below 2000rpm. It revs perfectly fine after 4000rpm.
I'm just banging my head to the wall here :eekwtf:

Last edited:

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
sounds like your map sensor either took a **** or got clogged

edit: Pull of your throttle body clean it on the inside, pull out the map sensor, spray some throttle body/carb or brake cleaner through the little passage. clean off the old gasket, get a replacement gasket and slap the sucker on...should fix it

Last edited:
Back