My H22A Head gasket needs changing!!!

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i am sure we have a timing belt swap DIY

it should be very similar to our f23's

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Its easier after someone has showed you or you did your research and do it yourself.

Some cars, if your lucky, u dont have to remove the cams. If you do, it just adds to the labor and complexity, if your new.

The head is torqued down by head bolts, some people convert to studs later. The head bolts on most cars are torque to yield, which means they stretch when you have reached a final torque setting. So old ones are useless, you may need new ones if honda uses TTY head bolts.

Second, your supposed to loosen the head bolts in 3 progessive steps, they arent easy and they are torqued on hard. You will need a torque bar to remove them.

Lets assume "x" is a head bolt.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x
x-x-x-x-x-x-x

The pattern of loosening and removal will be in 3 passes like this, do not loosen one bolt all the way at once, or remove and other bolt other than this method. You will warp the head.

3-7-11-13-10-6-2
1-5-9-14-12-8-4

x-x-x-x-x-x-x
x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Make 3 passes and loosen head bolts in this pattern, not sure how many there are on the honda head.

Before you do anything, you want to set your car at BTDC, there are two marks on your crank pully. It rotates counterclockwise, the first mark will to fall on the "0", its on your lower timing cover. This should be 15 degrees before Top dead Center, which means your cams are at 30 degrees before Top dead center. That means NONE of your pistons are at there peak of the cylinder wall. It good when your working with an interference motor, if you slip the timing belt wrong or move the cams a bit while the belt is off, you risk slamming valves down into your pistons.

Most people use Top Dead Center anyways, I just like to play it safe. And some cars your required to use BTDC.

Its not a job for the DIY oil change guy, or a lube shop. Its something more intricate and mechanically involved, have a shop do it for you. Unless you have a experienced buddy who can walk you through and explain all the steps. And experienced person or mechanic can get this job done within' 8hr or so without breaks and everything goes smoothly.

I did leave a lot of info out, this is only a very crude instruction

Erik123456789

Reaction score
^^ there are 10 bolts total, and yeah you do have to remove the cams to get to the head bolts for the h22 head

Erik123456789

Reaction score
Ohh I see, I only know because I've never actually worked on anything else besides Hondas and I pretty much haven't had to remember other things haha.
OP make sure you do it PANTIENTLY, take your time.. don't stress out over it.
I have a friend who just did his entirely by himself for the first time ever and he managed to rip out two different plugs, break 1 sensor, mess up the fuel line, and strip a few bolts here and there for trying to rush things and took him a total of 3 days in the end.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
To the OP, take pics, and make detailed notes about the process, so you can post up a DIY on here for the next person that needs to get it done.

BTW, liking the username! :thumbsup:

Back