OEM Rear Sunshade *more pictures*

truWarier02

Reaction score
Update: 05/06/2014
Although I've had a crappy week (refer to my latest thread), I'm excited about the being able to use the sunshade now. I finally rigged up some clips for the sunshade.

Bought a set of these from Target.
2jevbwk.jpg

Grabbed some pliers and bent them into an S shape so they can clip onto the headliner.
Crappy looking but whatever. I plan to plasti-dip these so they look better.
2ugpfep.jpg

Here's the end product....and my broken front lip behind it :sad:
2qs6xd1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 05/02/2014

Just received it today and couldn't wait to install it. Took me a while to figure out how to mount the plates. Then I came to realize I had to cut a slit on the rear deck cover to accommodate the shape of the plate. Can't really tell anyway. The other end of the plate attaches to 1 of the 4 speaker bolts.

o8w46x.jpg

I have no pics of the install, unfortunately, but you should get the idea. Here's a picture of it mounted. I still have to figure out how to mount the hooks that were included but I might just buy my own hooks.

5z02om.jpg

Did some Googling and found an interesting piece on a Honda TSB from 01/31/2001. Only 6.0gen's had the option available, and they advised against it on 6.5gen's, which explains why most people have not seen it installed before. And it's an item that not too many care to have unless it already came pre-installed from the factory.

14x1flg.jpg

Last edited:

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Re: OEM Manual Rear Sunshade

Tint will be your best friend! And before you say anything about being able to see and laws, I'm referring to this tint, which I used to have OVER my dark tint. CLICKY HERE Also, when I added my Rear Window Visor from HIC, I noticed a slight drop in the temperatures inside my car...

truWarier02

Reaction score

Tint will be your best friend! And before you say anything about being able to see and laws, I'm referring to this tint, which I used to have OVER my dark tint. CLICKY HERE Also, when I added my Rear Window Visor from HIC, I noticed a slight drop in the temperatures inside my car...

Thanks, I do have metallic tint (50% SolarGard HP Quantum). I used to think darker the better but I'm starting to really like lighter shades of tint on a black car. Gives it contrast and also keeps the cops off my back. Blocks quite a bit of heat too but an extra sunshade or 2 wouldn't hurt though.

11c7eky.jpg

danmccormick87

Reaction score

I get where you are coming from, it does set out the contrast of the black. The clear tint is just an added extra that I placed over my tint, so basically two layers of tint. It did more for me than my dark tint did. I remember the display at the shop having a heat bulb and a slider to show you how much it blocked. Was quite crazy. :jester:

truWarier02

Reaction score

I get where you are coming from, it does set out the contrast of the black. The clear tint is just an added extra that I placed over my tint, so basically two layers of tint. It did more for me than my dark tint did. I remember the display at the shop having a heat bulb and a slider to show you how much it blocked. Was quite crazy. :jester:

I didn't know that it's an extra layer that you can put on top of existing tint. I think I tried the display thing when I was at the shop. The bulb was radiating quite a bit of heat but as soon as they put that tint slider over it, I felt little to no heat. It was pretty cool but at the time I didn't want to spend so much on tint just to get a ticketed again. :coffee:

danmccormick87

Reaction score

Yeah, its clear window film. It's like only 1 mil thick if I remember correctly and blocks more heat out than your colored tint does. I added over all my windows and my front windshield and noticed a huge decrease in the heat. Pricey, but if you are trying to get the maximum cooling advantages without blacking out your windows and getting a ticket, it's worth it to throw it over your tint and windshield.

FNCONE

Reaction score

Wow I had no idea we had rear shades as an option. I remember in the junk yard messing around with the Acura RL I was trying to remove the rear shade off it. But just ended up tinting the car. But the RL one is electric. Fast Forward to 7:30 if you want to see the shade. Sorry not much help for your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEKYHB-y3w

truWarier02

Reaction score

Wow I had no idea we had rear shades as an option. I remember in the junk yard messing around with the Acura RL I was trying to remove the rear shade off it. But just ended up tinting the car. But the RL one is electric. Fast Forward to 7:30 if you want to see the shade. Sorry not much help for your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEKYHB-y3w

Tell me about it. After more than a decade and a half, you would think there would a discussion about it buried somewhere but a Google search yields nothing. But I just snatched a brand new one on eBay though... so excited! The owner never had a chance to install before he sold his Accord. These are the pics he sent me.

34t9xyv.jpg

20qnfd2.jpg

vy2ioy.jpg

t9ccco.jpg

6ok7pl.jpg

And apparently, Honda also made one for the 96-00 Civic with the Honda logo. Learn something new everyday...

12045990183_cc6b9ca7ae_o.jpg

101800291_img0002%282%29.jpg

101759572_img0049.jpg

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Re: OEM Rear Sunshade

I knew about the Honda Civic one, but wasn't aware we had one that worked for our platform... Is it a cut and install style job, like the factory fog lights?

truWarier02

Reaction score
Re: OEM Rear Sunshade

I don't think there's any cutting involved.

From the looks of it, the hooks are shoved inside the headliner right above the windshield. And the plates are bolted under the speaker covers at the corners with the tab+bolt sticking out for mounting the ends of the sunshade.

Back