Rear Fog Lights - Idea

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
As my car is hibernating over the winter 30 km away in a downtown condo parking lot, and will then be shipped directly for her J32A2/6MT swap, I've had some time trying to figure out how to pull of a rear fog light for my car. Although I have front fog lights, in really dense fog, not getting hit from the back is also very important.

I'm familiar with the genuine Honda rear fog light ...

$(KGrHqF,!jMFC1tkFgqbBQ3QrHBvlg~~60_12.JPG

... but when I tried to Photoshop it onto my car, I just couldn't find a good location to put it ... it just didn't flow. The other thing is that I didn't want to cut into the rear bumper ...

I then realized that our two backup lights could serve as the perfect location for rear fog lights.

$T2eC16NHJIYFHNr7trBOBSSfkC3Ulw~~60_57.JPG

On the 01 coupe the rear reverse lights are handled by a 7440 single filament bulb.

$T2eC16dHJI!FHR1ljTF!BSSfkGYVTQ~~60_57.JPG

My plan is to swap the 7440 socket with a 3057 double filament socket and a 3057 white/red switchback LED.

$_12.JPG

$T2eC16R,!zQE9s3ssOu6BRpD41JcRQ~~60_3.JPG

Then, I'll run the power from the front fog lights to the additional filament on the 3057 bulb, thereby getting brighter reverse light and rear fog lights.

I was going to wait to actually complete this project but wanted to bounce if off you guys first for any tips/comments.

PS ... I've previously pulled of a 7440 to 3057 swap on my 96 Accord, the sockets fit surprisingly well into the assemblies.

Teesak

Reaction score
If this works and is not to technically electrically I would be interested in a DIY. Sounds like a sweet idea. i think id just make them 5th & 6th running lights instead but thats me

mx5kev

Reaction score
In French DM Coupe, the rearfoglight is OEM integrated in the central backlight. And we've got a foglight Switch next to the cruise control button.

I may have pics of it if you want.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a sweet idea. i think id just make them 5th & 6th running lights instead but thats me

Thanks, the reason why I would not make it a 5th/6th light is because both the intensity and colour of the LED would be different than the rest of the taillights. While this would bother me for everyday use, it's exactly what's required to alert drivers in thick fog.

In French DM Coupe, the rearfoglight is OEM integrated in the central backlight. And we've got a foglight Switch next to the cruise control button.

I may have pics of it if you want.

We love pics :)

I remember when I was in Europe that there is some sort of transportation department law in some countries that instead of two reverse lights (like in North America), one of the reverse lights is painted red and is used as a rear fog light. Is that what you are referring to ???

mx5kev

Reaction score
Nope we've got both, here's a Picture of a swiss friend with the fog light on. Don't pay Attention to the both burnt brake/Position lights ( They lights normally like on my signature and get brighter when braking)

1377459_542617565829277_518925270_n.jpg

and here's the fog light Switch :

naeg.jpg

to turn on the fog light you shall have your front lights on.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
simon_y integrated a rear fog in to his sedan tail lights, but I think he has since switched to a rear fog in the bumper like mine.

Snip33r, has the rear fog in his SSM Coupe bumper, which I think looks great.

I don't think it would be a difficult thing to incorporate it in to your rear tail light, I just don't know of anyone who has done that with the CG Coupe.

Got02Accord

Reaction score
mx5kev, do you know off hand if your center tail light piece is difference from the american one? i mean do we have the spot but its blocked off or something like that, I have been tempted to figure something out and make a rear fog like what you posted.

EDIT: Never mind...People.. Prepare for a DIY in the near future..

mx5kev

Reaction score
Glad you answered yourself :p Anyway, do you have anything else then the reverse lights on American coupe? Just wondering. As I told you, we've got only one foglight on the left side. the other side is empty.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you answered yourself :p Anyway, do you have anything else then the reverse lights on American coupe? Just wondering. As I told you, we've got only one foglight on the left side. the other side is empty.

Here's what we get ... on both sides

USDM+6th+Gen+Accords.png

Some members have modded the Park/Turn light so that it only illuminates with the turn signal. I am planning to add additional functionality to the single use Reverse Light socket.

mx5kev

Reaction score
Ok thanks, with all those parklights you're sure to be seen at night :)

You sketch was good so I made one for EUDM Accord :

Back