Coming back to the 6th gen game again...

ZFreak

Reaction score
(Don't worry, I still have my RB26 powered Z32 300zx that's in the non-6th gen members rides area)

I sold my 1998 5 speed sedan to a friend of mine a few years ago (and it's still up and running), and thought getting a 2013 Ford Fusion Ecoboost was a good idea.... probably the WORST car I've ever purchased out of the 30 or so cars I've owned in my 17+ years of being able to drive.

That being said, we recently purchased a 2013 Accord Sport 6 speed sedan for my wife to drive (my wife and I work together, so we generally only need one car), but my wife is preggo with our first child (due January 2014), so I'm back looking for a 6th gen sedan (5 speed) since I loved the two of them that I had in the past so much (and my mother owns a 2001 5 speed EX sedan, and best friends mom a 2000 auto EX sedan)....

Another cool thing is that when I had the 18x7.5 4x114.3 Volk TE37's on my accord, I sold them to a friend that put them on his Nissan Cube. He has since sold that Cube, and I bought the TE37's back (so I have yet another reason to get 6th GEN again LOL).

So look for me to be back around here more often - as soon as I find the right 6th gen. My first two went almost 300k miles before I sold them, and I'm sure my next one will too.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at how many people come back to the 6GA lol. Just make sure you get another manual.

Emphasis

Reaction score
What made the Ford Fusion the worst car purchase you have ever made?

You probably already know; but remember to check for rust, tired/not working parts, etc.

ZFreak

Reaction score
The 2013 Fusion Titanium Ecoboost 2.0 6AT:
- Put almost 20,000 miles on it and averaged only 22MPG on the highway where the sticker says it should be getting 33 on the highway.... even trying as hard as we could, we could only get about 29mpg on the highway (keeping the turbo out of boost - which is hard to do as it's a tiny K03 turbo like on the old 1.8T VW's).

- It was at the dealer 5 different times for the SYNC system completely locking up (which controls everything - the seats, the nav, radio, etc),

- Random pieces of trim (a/c vents) fell off.

- Door seals have failed (driver front, passenger rear) and had to be replaced.

- The transmission started shifting VERY rough from about 1000 miles on... this transmission is the 6F35 in the older fusions (search youtube for "Ford Fusion Transmission Flare)... which is what was starting to happen to this one... it is probably the WORST transmission I've ever had in a car.... but it didn't do any of this for the first 1000 miles.

- The seat bracket broke - replaced under warranty.

- It was in for 4 recalls...

- There were two "factory defects" that FORD still didn't make correct... one was one of the rear parking sensors didn't sit flush with the bumper (the other 3 did), and the dealer attempted twice to correct it, but as soon as I got home, the sensor "fell in" the bumper. The other was the rear panel between the taillights, on the top edge actually looked like it wasn't cut or trimmed correctly, leaving a large gap.... dealer had to send photos to FORD before they would approve the replacement.... approved and replaced, and the new one was EVEN WORSE.

Here's the funny part - we have had the 2013 accord for almost 10,000 miles now, and it doesn't have one single issue at all. None. Zero. And I'm probably the most picky person when it comes to making things right under warranty claims. Never again will I buy another ford. I loved how it looked, and it was very fast, but it failed in almost every other aspect compared to the accord.

Yeah, my mom insisted on a 5 speed - as I warned her about the auto's in the 6th gens.... hers is around 200k miles and going.

Having owned two 6th gens, plus helping my parents maintain their 6th gen, I'm well aware of what to look for - so hopefully I'll find something soon. Not in any hurry, but definitely sure that's what I'll end up getting. Just have to find the right one. There appears to be a decent amount of 5 speeds available around Dallas, so I think I'll find one.

ZFreak

Reaction score
Updates to the Z: This winter I will be swapping the RB26 block out for a built and stroked RB30 (3.2L stroked) and a TON of headwork for bigger cams, etc. LOTS planned.

It has a photoshoot in 3 weeks by Photomotive which will be in Banzai magazine (UK's best selling tuner magazine) as a full 7 page feature. After that point, I will probably drive her for a little bit, then start the process this winter. I also have to upgrade rear diff and axles to something that will be able to hold this type of power. It is no longer going to be used on the roadcourse - and will be one of these "I only race from a roll" type of cars - like a Supra LOL.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I have to say I am quite surprised about the Fusion. The new ones are EVERYWHERE. I wonder how many other owners are experiencing the same thing. Do you think it's possible you just got a lemon? I simply hated it for the blatant ripoff of Aston's grille and other front end cues, but that was about it. Now I like it even less.

What car is the RB30 block out of?

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
Gald to hear that you are getting back into a 6th gen. This era of Honda was a golden age IMO. It is funny though that alot of people come back to them for what ever reason....

It doesn't surprise me about the Fusion, they are :dancingpoop:
A guy I use to know had one. Trans fell out twice, the dealer forgot to COMPLETELY reassemble the car each time ( loose steering rack bolts!), and every time it came back looking like someone took a road trip in it. He had some devotion to Ford because of being a Ford truck/ Mustang guy, but he told them "Thats it-", and traded for a WRX that week.

Back