Transmission Cooler

guytv

Reaction score
Yo. I am looking to install a transmission cooler for my 2001 ex v6. I am looking to get more information on it as there is not much write ups on it on here. I searched the forums as well. I seen a DYI post on it, but I still have some questions.

Here is the one I am looking into getting:
http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-403-Ultra-Cool-Transmission/dp/B000C39C9A/ref=pd_sbs_263_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41pWdLEzDsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0GJ0J6Z7301Z24D4XY05

I was wondering where to install it exactly. Any advice/suggestions/photos are welcome. I watched some youtube videos as well, but I want to make sure that I am doing a proper job.

james'99

Reaction score
You're going to need more hose than they have there but basically, you can either run it off the existing cooler, the outlet of the radiator and back to the transmission. You can also take the radiator out of the process altogether. The biggest thing you are gonna have to figure out is how to properly mount it in front of the condenser so that it is effective and there is no issues with hoses flying off and such. You may also consider adding a inline filter before the cooler.

guytv

Reaction score
You're going to need more hose than they have there but basically, you can either run it off the existing cooler, the outlet of the radiator and back to the transmission. You can also take the radiator out of the process altogether. The biggest thing you are gonna have to figure out is how to properly mount it in front of the condenser so that it is effective and there is no issues with hoses flying off and such. You may also consider adding a inline filter before the cooler.

Do you know what size hose? So we can run it either through the outlet or inlet and either way would be fine? And I been reading about the filter as well. Is it recommended that we add a filter since I am adding the transmission cooler anyways?

james'99

Reaction score
Do you know what size hose? So we can run it either through the outlet or inlet and either way would be fine? And I been reading about the filter as well. Is it recommended that we add a filter since I am adding the transmission cooler anyways?

Well, the filters are usually one way flow so you need to know what direction the flow is. I would probably filter it right out of the transmission before the cooler. I don't know the size hose as I have a manual transmission.

james'99

Reaction score
Also, consider efficiency. I think the most efficient would be to run it through the stock cooler and then your cooler.

The hose is either 5/16 or 3/8"

guytv

Reaction score
Well, the filters are usually one way flow so you need to know what direction the flow is. I would probably filter it right out of the transmission before the cooler. I don't know the size hose as I have a manual transmission.

Alright. So let me get the order correct.

Outlet of transmission's hose (from the car) goes to added filter > outlet of added filter goes into inlet of radiator > outlet of radiator goes to transmission cooler > outlet of transmission cooler goes back to the car.

Back