Ok, started my led project, here are some pics

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, i finished these up like 6 hours ago. My camera batteries died. All i can say are these are BRIGHT. Way brighter than the blue. Now i thought i liked the bluish tint. Not anymore.

Pics
Full dash
wholedashji2.jpg

Gauges
dashib2.jpg

Console
consoletp8.jpg

Gauges and console
fullqi8.jpg

Edit-I actually needed to turn my interior lights on to get pics. They are very bright. The last two pics are more what they look like. These things are very bright, did i say that :D

du3ce

Reaction score
damn those look like the 7th gen gauges, did u have to solder anything for the gauge cluster?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, overall impressions. For the work, and price, this was great. It was pretty time consuming, about 10-12 hours but it was worth it for sure. It has a very nice look without being over the top. They are bight but there is a dimmer. Probably the first led conversion where i actually need to turn it down. Price, damn good in my oppinion. What is pictured was $40. And i've done half the cruise, have an led left over. 3 more and i've done everything. That includes all interior lights but the doors.

Install-Easy, but not necessarily if you haven't done this before. This is my second time doing a whole interior, maybe the 4th time total as i've added leds to friends cars here and there. The wiring was basic, even where i did my own custom stuff. If you are handy with a solding iron and a multimeter your golden. If not, you may want to purchace a kit. Everything else was very easy, just took time. All documented above, don't really need to re-expalin it.

Now if you got a blue kit, or blue leds, this would have been like 3 hours tops. Most of it was getting rid of honda stuff. It would probably be much dimmer. Or if you did the white and didn't deal with the filters, the same amount of time. I'd go with the later, i felt it was a better blue and brigher. No need for mods or anything either.

Look-Now like i said, i was feeling the blue. Until i finished. So much better. It's got a nice, classy look. Nothing over the top at all. It does grab attention but only because it's bright. It's clean, it's realitively easy on the eyes, and it's similar to some newer, oem interiors. I think i made the right choice.

Problems i encountered. My speedo is acting up. I'm 99% sure it's hitting. ANd when i'm at a constant speed, it's 5 mph off. If my tach is right. But, being an ex-dsmer, i know about 20 people i could borrow a datalogger from and be right on track. And i'm kicking myself in the *** cause i sold mine like 3 months ago. I'm pretty sure my tach is right, it is where it's supposed to be on idle. I'll hit the rev limiter tomorrow to see when there isn't anyone around. So, my speedo needs to be fixed, nothing i didn't think of, no big deal.

I defineatly recommend this, if you are hands on, can handle wiring, and tearing apart your presious car. I feel i got a much better result than the kits offered online, better price, and a better piece of mind, knowing that i did it the way i like to do it, the way i think is best, i didn't find much limitation.

One side note. The superbrightled.coms 74 wedge bulbs are a bit too purple for me. Just tinted enough so they don't match. I may or maynot redo this. They look fine until you compare to the 196 wedgebulbs.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
du3ce said:
damn those look like the 7th gen gauges, did u have to solder anything for the gauge cluster?
Um, not really. I put some blue leds up top. So it required some soldering. Just two wires. But if you don't plan on that, then no. You can see the blue glow on the pics of the console. Its far more subtle than that from the drivers seat. But if you use the stock lights, or one led, your good. Two, no. There is a weird way honda does it where you get power off of one bulb to a new circuit with two lights. It honestly looks about the same, i just bought two bulbs, figured i'd put them to use. And yeah, i was going for the 7th gen look. Glad it worked.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, i decided to go a bit further. And i have some more ideas up my sleave. This was very simple. The defrost light just wasn't bright enough. So...

First, i got a red led (my bro has about 200) and a resistor. Soldered it to some wires. I also hack sawed out part of the plastic that disperses the light. Put some tape over it. This will prevent the red from bleading into the white
1dv6.jpg

Now i forgot to take a picture but basically i drilled a hole for the led in the clean plastic. Easy way to mount it. Just hot glued it. THen taped it with black tape, again to prevent bleading.

See, no bleading
2bs8.jpg

Put it all back together, waited until night to snap a pic.

3hp3.jpg

The red is just a tiny bit bright. I figured there was red from the climate control right there so it would look nice. It looks fine, i may go with a dimmer led, maybe orange. Probably will stick with this though.

PS, sorry if i'm updating this too much, or it seems like i'm trying to show off my work. I know a few members want to this but seem either timid, a tad clueless, or maybe just don't know how much you can do by yourself. So that is the reason for my contant updates. Also, if you have questions (if anyone cares), feel free to ask.

I have accouple more things on the way. This project kind of got out of hand.

retroshark

Reaction score
looks great man! cant wait to mess with mine again! i really like the idea for the climate control, i was thinking about doing every one like that, but i never got round to it lol!

again, good job, looks awesome!

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
yea, youve made me want to do this now, haha, THANKS ALOT! hahahaha. more money....
It's been pretty entertaining so far. And i wouldn't call it expensive. I just spend an hour or two everyday. I'm getting a bit carried away though. I'm trying to get the needles brighter. I was hoping i'd be able to get away with some red leds, not happening. It will turn my whole cluster red. So i guess more white. Another $8. Maybe i'll save that for down the road.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea, it isnt expensive at all. but its a thing where if i do it, i have to do it all in one day, so thats alot of man hours for me. cuz i need to drive my car everyday.

dynasty

Reaction score
nice LED project dude. i plan to do one myself. any tips before i do it? i don't mind soldering or taking pieces out but as long as i can put them back together. about the gauges deal, i'm scared to rub alcohol over it just to remove some of the black stuff out. so i guess i'll leave the gauge as is.

Back