Rattle When Accelerating: catalytic converter

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Is it a btich to take the cat out?

No, it's quite easy actually as long as you don't run into seized or rusted cat bolts. When/if you replace it, just get an OE equivalent from Magnaflow and some new bolts and gaskets. Shouldn't run you more than $150.

Snoobly

Reaction score
i had this same problem when i was at idle and sometimes accelerating. turned out the bolts to the heat sheild were so rusted that the heat sheild just snapped off two of the bolts. so it hung there by two bolts for a few months before i found time to go under and rip it the rest of the way off. :D

kn0x47

Reaction score
my gf's does the same thing. she's just waiting for the cel to come on. it is pretty annoying tho and makes the car sound like a piece of junk

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
my gf's does the same thing. she's just waiting for the cel to come on. it is pretty annoying tho and makes the car sound like a piece of junk

Yes it does! I hate it and been dealing with it for months now. My heat shield seems fine just I guess the cat needs to be gutted out

lltradell

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the rattling. I check my shield and its good. I got a p020 code (cat low threshold= bad cat). I did the non fouler trick and the check light never came back on. But my car is still proforming like crap. slow acceleration, very bad MPG (19mpg), hard to drive up hill. I read that there might be stuff blocking the cat so i need to get take it off and unclog it. I plan to do it this week.

Back