DIY: Using OEM Fog Switch with Civic Harness and Foglights

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Haha good luck with him...

As for the the 44 pages for the civic fogs, yeah no one has an actual DIY for wiring them up because people use one of 2 methods: either wire them to turn on with the headlights, or wire them through the switch which you are doing. That would be something good to do, is a solid DIY for correct wiring of them. Please if you make a DIY though guys, make a good one, no lemonisms please! :hihi:

KnightRyder

Reaction score
i started making a new diy but then just got frustrated with the dumb colored wiring and trying to figure stuff out and extending crap that i just gave up on making a diy. still need to mess around with the OEM switch tomorrow. i hope that goes smoother, although i doubt it.

thecrown59

Reaction score
Im actually having a problem here.. I followed the juicebox's DIY for the connection and everything is on fine(had a lil problem tho with the cheap bulbs they sent me, and i had to buy 2 new H11's for $40 WTF!)..

my problem is that the lights turn on when the car is turned on and the oem switch liight is on but they dont switch off when i press the switch... they just stay on.. and i want to be able to turn em off and on with the switch..

i basically dont want to drive during the day with em on..
the wires for the civic switch came black-red-yellow-red
and i basically just lined them up with both diagrams

what did i do wrong

C_S_L

Reaction score
^ I did that DIY also with my civic fog lights and OEM fog switch. I ran into a few problems as well like the wire got snap out the connector while putting them on then the relay wire got snap out of the connector then the 4 wires I spliced rub against each other and cause a burn on the casing, had to electric tape all the wiring showing. After all that problems the light indicator for the fog stays on green and when I push it to TURN on it stays green. WTF? With the original civic switch it stays ON also. I think its just poor quality wiring, its ebay so you know what you'll get for going cheap.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I think you guys just wired your fogs wrong. Recheck your fog light wiring. Where did you tap into for power and trigger wire with the fog lights? That would make a difference. If your both OEM switch and civic switch have similar symptoms, then chances are you had the switches wired correctly and the problem is in how you wired up the fog light harness.

C_S_L

Reaction score
.... If your both OEM switch and civic switch have similar symptoms, then chances are you had the switches wired correctly and the problem is in how you wired up the fog light harness.

I dont know, it was like that when I installed it. I tap my power into that lil box under the driver dash. I follow juicebox DIY. Sad to say I got crap wirings from the maker if everyone else lights doesnt stay on like mine.

thecrown59

Reaction score
i connected for power right under the steering column were juicebox said to connect... but still no go for the switch... just stays lit up and wont turn off the fogs... :eh:

I didnt tap into anything of the car.. just connected the fog plugs .. the grounds... the plug for power under the steering column.. and lined up the civic and oem switch diagrams together and connected...

u think it could be the power plug?
or the switch connections?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Ah see that's they key for both of you... you didn't tap the trigger wire into the parking lights. I understand your power is connected under the dash in the fuse box or whatever, but you also need to tap that extra 'trigger' wire into your parking lights. "Trigger" wire means that when power is activated into where it is tapped (i.e. - parking lights in this most cases, such as the way I did mine), it allows the switch to control the on/off function of the lights. If you did not tap a trigger wire anywhere, the lights will always remain on (or off) when the headlights are on regardless of whether there is a switch or not. I believe that is the issue at hand. If needed, I can check which wire is the 'trigger wire' on my harness tomorrow or sometime soon.

thecrown59

Reaction score
well if u could do that asap it would be great i dont want to have to disconnect the power wire everytime its day...
thanks..

Back